Senior Research Associate / Tech Dev
Harbinger Health, a Flagship-founded company, is pioneering early cancer detection. Harbinger aims to detect cancer, at the earliest stages, to save lives. Our platform leverages proprietary biological insights and artificial intelligence to enable high-resolution, molecular views on cancer from blood. We are a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking collaborative, passionate, and dedicated people to join our team.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category bioplatform companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $200 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.5 billion in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $19 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 42 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (Nasdaq: AXLA), Codiak BioSciences (Nasdaq: CDAK) Denali Therapeutics (Nasdaq: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (Nasdaq: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (Nasdaq: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (Nasdaq: KLDO), Moderna (Nasdaq: MRNA), Omega Therapeutics (Nasdaq: OMGA), Rubius Therapeutics (Nasdaq: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology (Nasdaq: SANA), Seres Therapeutics (Nasdaq: MCRB), and Sigil on Therapeutics (Nasdaq: SGTX).
Harbinger Health is looking to hire a Senior Research Associate for the Process Development and Technology Transfer (Tech Dev) team to enable and support the development of the Multi-Cancer Early Detection assay as a laboratory-developed test (LDT) at Harbinger Health. You will develop assay processes to build the laboratory workflow and help transition it onto a high throughput platform using automated pods and support continuous improvement of the multi-cancer early detection test. Responsibilities include assay optimization and reagent integration on automated platforms, development of workflows, assay guard-banding, in-process sample stability and troubleshooting complex problems. The ideal candidate is a curious thinker and passionate problem-solver that possesses experience with automating NGS assays. This individual should have experience transitioning bench-based workflows for automating on robust and efficient platform capabilities integrating genomic data generation, with scalable components such as automation/peripheral hardware and software solutions.
- Design and execute experimental studies under the supervision of Technology Development Scientists.
- Contribute to the design, drafting, and execution of protocol validations and pre-validation activities.
- Generate evidence to support method modifications and process improvements.
- Analytically troubleshoot and conduct assay optimization if/when necessary to maintain and/or improve high-quality results generation while driving cost and complexity down.
- Contribute to scale and transfer of clinical tests (LDTs) from research environment to clinical production.
- Perform assay characterization to determine critical process parameters and tolerances.
- Liaise with laboratory automation team to plan for production readiness and work to
ensure activities are in sync with CLIA space and equipment capabilities.
- Support continuous process improvement activities through change control.
- BS or MS in the Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related discipline
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in academia or industry laboratory setting focused on commercial diagnostics and assay development.
- Experience in a CLIA/CAP accredited operation is strongly preferred.
- Solid understanding of genetics with expertise in molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid purification, quantification, and PCR (standard amplification, qPCR, and/or ddPCR).
- Experience with NGS, specifically library preparation and enrichment techniques are a plus.
- Experience operating and/or programming automated liquid handlers is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in workflows and priorities while delivering timely results to meet company goals.
- Experience using and/or developing laboratory information management system (LIMS) queues and/or workflows is a plus.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency with data analysis software (ie. Prism or JMP) and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.