What if you could join an organization that creates and builds life sciences companies that invent
breakthrough technologies to transform healthcare and sustainability?
Metaphore Biotechnologies is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to reimagine drug discovery and vaccine design through the integration of computational and experimental innovation. The company is developing a revolutionary approach to this challenge and recruiting a team of top-tier scientists and engineers to build a powerful, first-in-category R&D platform.
Metaphore Biotechnologies is a product of Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, that conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-class life science platform companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Metaphore Biotechnologies is seeking a creative, resourceful, and highly collaborative expert in hit identification to join our antibody discovery team. The ideal candidate should have a strong technical background in classical and modern molecular biology, experience with various antibody scaffolds, bio-panning strategies for diverse libraries spanning both naïve and enriched starting points, library creation methodology and assessment, NGS experience (PacBio and Illumina), and assessment of hit compounds (OCTET, ELISA, in vitro cellular activity assays). In this role, the candidate will be accountable for executing selection campaigns independently, support the optimization of our platform, and participate in the validation of novel targets spanning diverse therapeutic areas. The candidate will have the opportunity to excel in a multidisciplinary environment. We are looking for adaptive and scientifically curious individuals that will thrive in an ecosystem that encourages growth and learning.
- Implement bio-panning selections using various phage display architectures, including preparation and validation of targets prior to selection
- Design and execute assays to characterize the resulting hits resulting from a successful campaign
- Execute and optimize repertoire cloning from animal sources to generate novel libraries for screening.
- Closely collaborate with the protein production and antibody engineering groups to efficiently utilize and optimize the discovery platform workflow
- Optimize existing workflows and establish best experimental and documentation practices to enable consistent deliverables.
- Manage external CRO and direct report/s.
- PhD. with 5+ years of post-graduate experience in biological selection campaigns (phage display, yeast surface display, mRNA display, etc.), and highly versed in modern molecular biology.
- A focus on antibody biology is highly desirable and a modest level of experience with automation is valued.
- An ability to work independently, with impeccable record keeping and outstanding organization skills.
- Adaptability to the fluid environment of a highly dynamic start-up, and able to maintain an efficient cross-functional communication.
- Scientific excellence, critical thinking, and proven track-record of achievement, as evidenced by references indicating imminent success in this role.
- Experience managing direct reports and CROs.
Values and Behaviors
We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, outstanding organization skills and impeccable record keeping, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will be commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.