Metaphore Biotechnologies (previously known as Flagship Labs 72 or FL72) is an early-stage biotechnology company building the premier computationally driven bioplatform for the intelligent design of molecular mimicry. Our platform integrates massively parallel assays with machine-learning-guided protein engineering to navigate the combinatorial space of molecular interactions and design protein-protein interfaces with exquisite precision. This capability unlocks best-in-class monoclonal antibodies, next-generation vaccines, and novel therapeutic paradigms across multiple categories of chronic disease.
We are currently located in Kendall Square, Cambridge, in the state-of-the-art facilities of Flagship Labs and will likely move to a larger facility around CambridgeSide.
Metaphore Biotechnologies is a product of Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT). Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Metaphore Biotechnologies is seeking highly motivated co-ops to join our growing team for six months starting in July 2023. Internships offer the opportunity to work in a fast-paced startup environment working on cutting-edge biotech techniques. You will have the opportunity to be one of the first 20 members of a highly multidisciplinary the team and work collaboratively with all the core functions as we mature our technology towards the clinic.
- Perform phage library selections on various targets
- Evaluate protein binding by ELISA or Biolayer Interferometry
- Prepare samples for next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Maintain an electronic lab notebook
- Work with other teams in a matrix environment
- Troubleshoot experiments as needed
- Present results at company meetings
- 1+ years hands-on lab experience
- Experience with basic molecular biology and biochemical techniques
- Strong documentation, communication, and time-management skills to excel in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Ability to work independently and as a team member with confidence, self-motivation and scientific curiosity
Experience this opportunity provides you
- Biotech startup experience
- 1:1 coaching and mentorship in how to use experiments to answer big questions that advance basic research towards clinical applications
- An opportunity to learn how data science interfaces with the next frontier of drug hunting and development
- Collaborations within Metaphore teams from computational therapeutic design to translational studies. We are a small and scientifically-driven team that enjoys learning and working together.
Values and Behaviors:
Flagship is an experiment in institutional, entrepreneurial, and innovation practiced in the context of a small company with an insurgent mindset. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort in working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will be commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidates.