Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™— a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
The Scientist II/Senior Scientist will be responsible for the design and execution of various cellular and molecular biology research related to the delivery of Tessera’s novel Gene Writing technology to cells in vitro and in vivo. This person will be responsible for the research and advancement of non-viral delivery systems created and developed by our formulation and delivery science teams. This is a highly visible role that will work cross-functionally with both research and translational teams to better understand the biology of lipid nanoparticle delivery at the organ, cellular, and intra-cellular level. We are searching for a driven, enthusiastic, and self-motivated individual who is comfortable multi-tasking and working independently. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team.
- Design, develop, and execute cell-based experiments that evaluate the delivery efficiency of Gene Writers at both the cellular and intra-cellular level
- Design and analyze experiments to evaluate delivery of LNPs to various organs within animal models with specific focus on hepatocytes/liver
- Quantitative assessment of delivery using molecular, biochemical, imaging, and cellular readouts
- Create and implement assays to better understand intracellular responses and localization of Gene Writer components and/or the delivery of the Gene Writer systems
- Contribute to different stages of the research projects from inception, in vitro optimization, analysis of in vivo studies, and translation to therapeutic payloads
- Collaborate with internal and external research teams and CROs to advance the team’s research
- Ph.D. in biological sciences with 5+ years of industry or relevant research experience, Master’s degree with 10+ years industry research, or Bachelor’s degree with 12+ years of industry research experience
- Extensive hands-on experience in tissue culture of cell lines and primary cells
- Experience in molecular biology, cell biology, and analysis of in vivo generated samples
- Knowledge of lipid nanoparticle and/or other non-viral delivery of nucleic acids
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively work as part of a team
- Experience working with liver samples and primary hepatocytes
- Microscopy experience epifluorescence and confocal
- Knowledge of liver physiology and cellular biology
- Proven track record of independently driving research projects with excellent collaboration skills
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.