What if… you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies to transform human health and sustainability?
FL86, Inc. is a privately held, early-stage company developing a novel genomics platform and therapeutics for diseases with a large unmet need.
FL86 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovative enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 100 groundbreaking companies over the past twenty years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna (MRNA) Generate Biomedicines, Sana Biotechnology (SANA), Tessera Therapeutics, Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), Indigo Agriculture, Seres Therapeutics (MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS). We are an equal opportunity employer.
We are seeking an experienced scientist to lead the design, implementation, and interpretation of target discovery projects in a wide range of therapeutic areas using FL86’ unique technology platform, including genomics methods, and approaches to study human tissue. The candidate brings scientific leadership experience, enthusiasm, intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor, scientific team management and experience in coordinating complex research projects.
- Lead scientific research teams and projects, coordinate internal and external project resources, deliver rigorous insights within defined timelines
- Lead the experimental design of key target discovery projects, leveraging FL86’ technology platform and addressing challenging research questions by exploring, testing and implementing novel experimental methods
- Rapidly grasp the biology of a wide range of diseases to make the best experimental design choices and act as the intellectual leader within the organization
- Provide supervision and training for more junior lab member and/or technicians
- Communicate key findings to stakeholders across the company, both written and presentation formats
- Collaborate closely with other team members across the organization
- PhD, or equivalent work-experience, in molecular biology, cell biology, or a similar field of biology, physiology, or medicine
- 8+ years post-Ph.D. experience in scientific research in an industry setting
- 5+ years of experience working in wet lab biology role (in industry or post-PhD), with familiarity in multiple techniques assessing diseases at tissue or cellular level, such as histology, tissue dissociation (from fresh, frozen, or FFPE), immune labelling (IHC/IF), laser capture microdissection (LCM), fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS), magnetic-bead based cell enrichment, nuclei isolation and sorting
- 2+ years leading scientific research teams in a matrix environment, prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, integrate cross-functional issues and balance competing priorities effectively
- Ability to work both quickly and diligently, creating high-quality work products on schedule
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- A high degree of energy, accuracy and attention to detail, and a passion for creating transformative medicines for patients with serious diseases
- Candidates with experience in (a) Working with human tissues, (b) Sequencing or genetics-based techniques, and (c) Single cell methods will be preferred
- Candidates with expertise in metabolic disease, autoimmune disease, and oncology will be preferred