Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™— a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and highly motivated engineer that can help advance our scientific mission. This person will develop and support a cloud-based architecture for data collection, integration, and analysis for both internally and externally generated data. They will join the Data Science team and interact with engineers and our extended data science teams to enable the discovery and development of novel gene therapy agents. The individual will serve as a designer and implementer of the environment for our data science team to operate in. They will improve the daily work of our engineers and data scientists.
As a key member of the data science team, this lead DevOps engineer will:
- Work with engineers and scientists to deliver DevOps solutions
- Deploy and maintain infrastructure automation and configuration management tools
- Support, improve and upgrade a continuous integration & continuous deployment environment (CI/CD)
- Help design, build, and maintain highly efficient and reliable data pipelines to move data across several platforms including applications, database, data warehouse, and BI tools
- Increase our ability to deliver applications and services quickly and safely
- Help develop the Machine Learning (ML) infrastructure, including the implementation of technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, and others, to support the creation of a scalable machine learning platform
- Enable rapid experimentation while ensuring reliability and stability
- Build strong relationships across data science and wet bench science
- Maintain documentation for all processes and tools for systems development and maintenance
- Provide technical expertise for engineering projects on diverse platforms
- Minimum 5 years of experience in delivering solutions with DevOps
- Experience with DevOps, CI/CD, cloud deployments, configuration, testing, and automation
- Demonstrated experience managing cloud-based software solutions
- Must have AWS (Amazon Web Services) experience
- Proficiency in Python, Java, Typescript, or another modern programming language
- Must have experience with containerization (Docker, Kubernetes, Fargate, etc.)
- Must have experience with Infrastructure as Code (CloudFormation, Terraform)
- Must have experience building and deploying pipelines at scale with GitLab, CircleCi, Jenkins, GitHub, etc.
- Must have experience with configuration management (Ansible, Chef, etc.)
- Experience in Machine Learning Operations (MLOps) with focus on creation of scalable data workflow to support ML model development
- History of successfully working in a fast paced cross-functional environment
- Expertise in problem decomposition and solution delivery using modern SDLC methodologies
- Results oriented: A willingness to use the right technique for the experiment, even an unfamiliar one
- Communication: outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work well with colleagues from diverse scientific backgrounds and cultures
Preferred Qualifications, if you have these it would be a plus:
- Knowledge of data workflow orchestration such as Dagster, Airflow, Kubeflow, Argo
- Experience with machine learning pipeline development, experiment & metadata tracking, model deployment, serving, and monitoring
- Experience with RDBMS, NoSQL databases, data warehouse and SQL
- Experience with serverless computing (serverless framework, Lambda, API Gateway, Event Bridge)
- Experience with biotech or life sciences data science environment
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.