Pioneering Medicines is seeking an ambitious, innovative and highly collaborative VP/SVP, Metabolic Diseases to join our team. The incumbent should demonstrate a depth and breadth of experience in delivering impactful biology data, that can shape the directions of drug discovery and/or early clinical programs. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of laboratory techniques and assays, in addition to biology/translational sciences expertise.
In this newly created role, the VP/SVP, Metabolic Diseases will work with senior leadership to carry out an ambitious vision for Pioneering Medicine’s unique value proposition and a compelling strategy for translational research and development. The incumbent will partner with emerging organizations across the Flagship ecosystem, providing therapeutic expertise and guiding overall portfolio strategy. The ideal candidate will have recognized expertise in systems biology, significant experience in drug discovery and focused therapeutic areas as well as a strong understanding of the intricacies of early development. Affinity for novel technologies leading to the discovery of new medicines is also essential (e.g., genomics, transcriptomics, network/systems biology, computational biology, and/or machine learning).
This individual will have an established level of respect and credibility in the research and development communities. They must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with leadership and team building skills. Must have an exceptional ability to collaborate with external partners, organizations, agencies, and individuals—in particular, major stakeholders in the scientific community. Credibility and integrity are critical attributes to effectively command the respect and trust of key individuals and help foster collaboration with PM’s potential partners
- Drive strategic approaches and target selection
- Provide strategic guidance to advance programs into Development
- Work with PM Research team to deliver Discovery Programs across relevant Disease areas
- Provide guidance on research plans
- Work with internal and external partners to oversee design of experimental studies and data interpretation
- Serve as a scientific spokesperson for Pioneering Medicines
- Present to the company’s Scientific Advisory Board as well as to external stakeholders, strategic partners, and the investment community
- Speak externally with high credibility and passion about PM’s scientific opportunities and capabilities
- Represent the company with scientific agencies
- Provide therapeutic expertise and advise on relevant research strategies
- Bring visionary scientific thought leadership to PM to enable the company to progress with its innovative approaches.
- Identify and evaluate the latest global scientific and technology trends in academia and industry for the company
- Collaborate with Senior Leaders to guide research project strategy
- Identify and assess pipeline opportunities, across the ecosystem and in collaboration with strategic partners.
- Validate exploratory programs in new disease areas/indications
- Provide scientific leadership of PM’s research and development programs and platform development initiatives.
- PhD or MD/PhD with experience in a related scientific area. Metabolic, Inflammation or Cardiovascular desired, not required
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry or academia
- Familiarity with drug discovery/translational skills through oversight of multiple programs
- Proven track record of providing scientific expertise, and developing strategies to address unmet needs
- Recognized expert in relevant biology, with an impeccable scientific pedigree
- Driven by pursuing exciting and strategically sound scientific programs that are sufficiently differentiated from competitive research programs
- Ability to consider and debate both deep technical and broad strategic issues, as well as the ability to inspire, build, and develop high-performing teams of scientists
- Exhibit strong drive for achievement and success while showcasing respect and care of people
- Demonstrate sound business judgment with an ability to evaluate alternatives, establish priorities, and apply resources effectively
- Track record of working seamlessly and building relationships with the other functions across the organization