Vesalius Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Statistical Geneticist to leverage human genetic and genomic data to reveal biological mechanisms of health and disease. You will report to the VP, Informatics & Data Science and collaborate with computational biologists and wet-lab biologists to reveal mechanistic insight into disease processes and patient stratification. You will bring a solid foundation in quantitative genetics and post-GWAS analysis paired with a strong work ethic and ability to work independently and in highly matrixed teams. This is an exciting and interdisciplinary role that will collaborate with computational biologists, biomedical informaticists, and wet-lab biologists to support the development of novel therapeutics.
- Design and leverage cloud-scale analysis pipelines to integrate human genetic data, internally generated genomic data, and externally generated genomic data to predict mechanisms underlying complex diseases and nominate novel drug targets
- Collaborate with computational biologists and wet-lab biologists to validate predicted mechanisms
- Collaborate with biomedical informaticists to connect predicted mechanisms to patient subpopulations
- Collaborate with software engineers and data engineers to acquire, organize, and efficiently query human genetic data
- Maintain awareness of emerging methods in statistical genetics and computational biology
- Prepare written and oral presentation of results to the team
- PhD in statistical genetics, genetic epidemiology, biostatistics, or related field
- Strong foundational knowledge of quantitative genetics (GWAS, QTL mapping, heritability estimation, etc.), population genetics, and applied statistics
- Demonstrated experience applying post-GWAS analyses to predict causal mechanisms underlying disease loci (fine mapping, colocalization, functional enrichment, etc.)
- Experience integrating GWAS data with human genomic data (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq, etc.) a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in a relevant programming language (R, Python, etc.)
- Experience developing novel models, algorithms, or software implementations a plus
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment as a team player with a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment with a sense of urgency and creativity and focus on deliverables.
- Team player with a strong work ethic, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Continuously learns and adapts quickly to new information
- Authentic, proactively appreciative of different points of view, backgrounds and perspectives
What We’ll Offer You:
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, three weeks’ paid time off with additional holidays, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participate in the development and growth of a company with enormous potential impact on human health
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Who We Are:
Vesalius Therapeutics is a Flagship Pioneering platform company with a bold and critical mission to revolutionize drug development for the diseases that cause 90% of global morbidity and mortality.
The company was founded in 2019 in Flagship Labs, Flagship Pioneering’s innovation foundry. Vesalius is led by CEO Christopher Austin, M.D., Flagship Managing Partner, Doug Cole, M.D., and a leadership team with decades of experience working at some of the most renowned pharma and biotech companies in the industry.
Vesalius’s ContinuumDiscovery™ platform harnesses a combination of human clinical data and genetics, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and patient-derived experimental models into a uniquely potent discovery engine.
You can read more about our mission here.