Head of Functional Genomics
Vesalius Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Head of Functional Genomics to lead in the discovery of new therapeutic targets and the development of world-class target discovery platforms, such as CRISPR screening and high-throughput protein interaction assays platform. This individual will be responsible for assembling and leading a team with expertise spanning molecular biology, cell biology, cell engineering, assay development, screening operations, automation, data analysis, and new technology development.
- Design, develop and implement medium and high throughput functional genomic screens in cell lines, primary cells, and reprogrammed stem cell cultures. This includes deploying genome engineering and single-cell genomic technologies.
- Evaluate and introduce new genome-scale technologies to the company, and champion their use in our discovery efforts
- Be a strong voice in the development and implementation of our target discovery platform
- Asemble and lead a team of skilled scientists to execute this mission, and collaborate across our diverse group of scientific disciplines to develop new ideas
- PhD in a biological discipline with at least 8-10 years of relevant experience in an industry or academic setting. Additional qualifications, including MD, strongly preferred.
- An outstanding reputation in your field as a creative scientist, a technology innovator, and as a dynamic leader, evidenced by publication track record and/or patent filings.
- Deep expertise in cell and molecular biology and experience with state-of-the-art functional genomics screening technologies including contemporary expertise with CRISPR technologies used for genome-wide screens
- Extensive experience with cell-based assay development and screening using a variety of readout technologies.
- Strong quantitative intuition, excellent data analysis and data mining skills, and experience and comfort with laboratory automation.
- Direct supervisory experience (5+ years) leading a team of scientists (including PhD-level scientists) and a track record of recruiting, mentoring, and developing top talent.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, networking, and program leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment as a team player with a strong work ethic
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment with a sense of urgency and creativity and focus on deliverables.
- Team player with a strong work ethic, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Continuously learns and adapts quickly to new information
- Authentic, proactively appreciative of different points of view, backgrounds and perspectives
What We’ll Offer You:
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, three weeks’ paid time off with additional holidays, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participate in the development and growth of a company with enormous potential impact on human health
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Who We Are:
Vesalius Therapeutics is a Flagship Pioneering platform company with a bold and critical mission to revolutionize drug development for the diseases that cause 90% of global morbidity and mortality.
The company was founded in 2019 in Flagship Labs, Flagship Pioneering’s innovation foundry. Vesalius is led by CEO Christopher Austin, M.D., Flagship Managing Partner, Doug Cole, M.D., and a leadership team with decades of experience working at some of the most renowned pharma and biotech companies in the industry.
Vesalius’s ContinuumDiscovery™ platform harnesses a combination of human clinical data and genetics, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and patient-derived experimental models into a uniquely potent discovery engine.
You can read more about our mission here.