Vesalius Medicinal Chemist
Vesalius Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Medicinal Chemist will report to the Senior Director, Medicinal Chemistry and will be responsible for driving medicinal chemistry efforts in a fast-paced small molecule discovery research team. The successful candidate will utilize their scientific and organizational leadership to advance small molecule drug discovery projects from program initiation to selection of development candidates.
- Discover and advance novel small molecule drugs into clinical development
- Provide strategic, scientific, and managerial leadership to medicinal chemistry team
- Define, implement, and execute on medicinal chemistry strategies
- Serve as chemistry lead (directly and/or indirectly) for discovery programs
- Collaborate with IP team to create and execute strategy to establish, protect and expand intellectual property
- Plan for and prioritize internal and external medicinal chemistry resources to achieve project goals
- Communicate, collaborate, and coordinate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Prepare, review and deliver high quality scientific presentations for internal/external use
- Lead multidisciplinary drug discovery project teams in a fast-paced, results-driven biotech environment
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry with 10+ years of drug discovery experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- A strong track record of success in delivering clinical candidates
- Broad background in all aspects of drug discovery, with working knowledge of structural biology, ADME/PK, in vitro assays, and in vivo pharmacology
- Experience in managing chemistry CRO activities and academic collaborators; demonstrated ability to negotiate contracts, develop study protocols and on-time delivery of study reports supporting development candidate nomination and regulatory submissions
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication, and managerial skills that motivate and inspire others to achieve corporate scientific objectives
- A passion and sense of urgency for delivering important new therapies to patients is essential
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment with a sense of urgency and creativity and focus on deliverables.
- Team player with a strong work ethic, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Continuously learns and adapts quickly to new information
- Authentic, proactively appreciative of different points of view, backgrounds and perspectives
What We’ll Offer You:
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare (PPO) and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, three weeks’ paid time off with additional holidays, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participate in the development and growth of a company with enormous potential impact on human health
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Who We Are:
Vesalius Therapeutics is a Flagship Pioneering platform company with a bold and critical mission to revolutionize drug development for the diseases that cause 90% of global morbidity and mortality.
The company was founded in 2019 in Flagship Labs, Flagship Pioneering’s innovation foundry. Vesalius is led by CEO Christopher Austin, M.D., Flagship Managing Partner, Doug Cole, M.D., and a leadership team with decades of experience working at some of the most renowned pharma and biotech companies in the industry.
Vesalius’s ContinuumDiscovery™ platform harnesses a combination of human clinical data and genetics, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and patient-derived experimental models into a uniquely potent discovery engine.
You can read more about our mission here.