Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
About The Role
Alltrna is seeking to hire a broadly experienced, pragmatic, and energetic VP / SVP to lead our Translational Sciences function and be part of our company’s Leadership Team. This role requires depth and creativity to pioneer a radical & novel therapeutic platform to revolutionize the way we treat genetic diseases, both rare and common. As a platform company, we’re simultaneously approaching many diseases and indication types to help us understand what’s achievable, what’s possible, and to rapidly convert our platforms therapeutic capabilities into practice.
In this role, you will innovate the ways Alltrna will translate laboratory discoveries and emerging platform technology to human therapeutics. Core to your mission will be the design, development and implementation of modeling approaches across therapeutic areas to inform critical decisions. Translational Science will collaborate with all groups within Research and Development, Process Development, Computational Biology and Machine Learning teams to develop computational models to understand the disease and the impact of targeted biological pathways. You will be responsible for framing critical questions to establish the right model systems and analytical strategies that enable lead optimization, critical Go/No Go decisions, and advancement of therapeutics into patients. The Head of Translational Science will build and lead the in vitro and in vivo pharmacology and DMPK groups at Alltrna, directly manage a team of scientists, and drive cross functional work with colleagues throughout the company.
Your goal would be to drive scientific understanding in four areas to support our translational science efforts:
- Pharmacological and immunological properties of different scaffolds, formulations, and drug candidates
- Biomarkers generic to our platform and those specific to a particular target or indication
- Disease models to assess the therapeutic capabilities of our platform products, and drive robust project level decision making
- Primary cell/explant studies to confirm MOA in relevant matrixes supported by bioinformatic analyses
To achieve these goals, you will be required to develop and characterize a variety of models – including in vivo, in vitro, and ex vivo – to evaluate exploratory safety, therapeutic effect, PK/PD and immunological properties related to our platform and triangulate evidence to predict potential therapeutic capabilities in humans. You’ll work closely with immunologists and computational colleagues to design and execute in vivo studies in translational animal models, analyze and interpret diverse biological data sets related to PK/PD, and establish new biomarkers and their inference. As a senior leader, you will also be responsible for scientific and personnel development and aligning near-term priorities/deliverables with longer term milestones for our Translational Sciences team.
Our ideal candidate has experience in more than one of the following: rare diseases, immunology and/or oncology; as well as familiarity with statistical or machine learning methods to prosecute questions therein.
Qualifications and Skills
- A PhD, MD, DVM or equivalent with experience in translational science: understanding how the performance of therapeutic candidates in humans is predicted by in sillico, animal and in vitro evidence
- Minimum 15 years pharmaceutical industry, biotech, CRO health-related consulting company, academia, leading to IND-submissions and approvals
- Previous experience in oligonucleotides or biologics and a deep understanding of the qualitative differences in evidence required to progress in those domains
- Aptitude and experience to influence decisions and experimental design by using available data and appropriate modeling solutions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with key stakeholders and partners (internal/external)
- Ability to lead, influence and collaborate with peers, develop, and coach scientists, guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact
- Adept at managing multiple projects and balancing broad set of ongoing priorities and activities
- Values true data driven decision making and understands how to navigate uncertainty towards decisions and solutions
- A humble learner and an aggressive do-er
What We’ll Offer You
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Opportunity to build and develop a high-performing and impactful team within the next 2 year
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Our Core Values
- PATIENTS DESERVE BETTER. We are transforming medicine, boldly building a new future for patients.
- CURIOSITY SPARKS DISCOVERY. We ardently explore the unknown, catalyzing new scientific breakthroughs.
- COURAGE PROPELS US FORWARD. We take thoughtful risks without fear of failure, growing with each experience.
- OUR PURPOSE FUELS US. We each lead and work with focus and passion to design groundbreaking tRNA medicines.
- WE ARE ONE TEAM. We are united on trust and collaboration, embracing all voices and experiences.
WE GIVE IT OUR ALL, EVERYDAY, FOR PATIENTS EVERYWHERE. WE ARE ALLTRNA.