At Flagship Pioneering, we conceive, create, resource, and develop first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. We’ve created over 100 scientific ventures, including the now familiar drug and vaccine innovator, Moderna Therapeutics.
Since its inception in 2000, many of our companies have leveraged advances in computing, big data and AI. In recent years, this trend has accelerated with first-in-category life science companies such as Generate Biomedicines, Cellarity, Valo and many others that are creating breakthrough innovations using AI and ML technologies.
We are looking for extraordinary computational scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs to work alongside individuals within the Flagship Ecosystem focused on solving the most impactful challenges in AI and the life sciences.
The Natural Language ML scientist will envision and drive core research directions. They will work closely with an interdisciplinary team to design and implement novel natural language processing tools using large language models (LLMs) with biological impact. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, highly dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
- Leverage state-of-the-art advances in natural language processing using large language models (LLMs) for analyzing and reasoning over texts and other unstructured data in the context of biological problems.
- Take ownership and drive cutting-edge research on language modeling with emphasis on scientific accuracy and explainability.
- Develop clear, intuitive visualizations. Communicate analysis results via presentations to a multi-disciplinary audience.
- Cultivate a data-centric and process-oriented company philosophy by creating and maintaining best practices for software development, data management, and infrastructure.
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging technologies and models and identify opportunities for collaboration within Flagship Pioneering companies, academia, and third-parties.
- PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Math, or other related fields.
- Extensive experience with fine-tuning LLMs, developing novel LM methods, and evaluating LLM performance.
- Strong publication record.
- Fluency in Python and standard ML tools and packages.
- Motivated and team oriented, with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Must be able to think independently and work collaboratively.
- Familiarity with AWS, GCP, or similar cloud-computing services.
- Familiarity with Git.
- Experience with large language datasets.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies*: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.*