Senior Research Associate
Harbinger Health, a Flagship-founded company, is pioneering early cancer detection. Harbinger aims to detect cancer, at the earliest stages, to save lives. Our platform leverages proprietary biological insights and artificial intelligence to enable high-resolution, molecular views on cancer from blood. We are a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial, and innovation-driven organization seeking collaborative, passionate, and dedicated people to join our team.
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category bioplatform companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $200 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.5 billion in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $19 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 42 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (Nasdaq: AXLA), Codiak BioSciences (Nasdaq: CDAK) Denali Therapeutics (Nasdaq: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (Nasdaq: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (Nasdaq: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (Nasdaq: KLDO), Moderna (Nasdaq: MRNA), Omega Therapeutics (Nasdaq: OMGA), Rubius Therapeutics (Nasdaq: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology (Nasdaq: SANA), Seres Therapeutics (Nasdaq: MCRB), and Sigil on Therapeutics (Nasdaq: SGTX).
Harbinger Health is seeking highly motivated Senior Research Associates for the Innovation team. This team generates novel technologies to enhance the product portfolio and drive diagnostic technologies forward. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparing samples to test new technologies, optimize protocols/assays, and perform validations to ensure technical specifications are being met. He/she is highly organized, can work independently and as part of a multifunctional team in a fast-paced environment, and can effectively communicate data and feedback to senior staff. Experience with nucleic acid preparation and PCR amplification is a must; familiarity with NGS assay workflow is a plus. Because of the start-up nature of Harbinger Health, this role will accelerate exposure to multiple facets of clinical diagnostic field, from nucleic acid preparation to data analysis, and overall bioassay development.
- Independently and reproducibly perform SOPs and meticulously record results in an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN)
- Design and execute complex experimental studies under the supervision of scientific leads
- Perform data analysis and write detailed reports
- Analytically troubleshoot and conduct assay optimization if/when necessary to maintain and/or improve high-quality results generation while driving cost and complexity down
- Manage sample receipt, tracking, storage, and inventory
- Perform general lab cleaning, restocking, and maintenance to ensure uninterrupted research
- BS or MS in the Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related discipline with
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in academia or industry laboratory setting focused on commercial diagnostics and assay development
- Solid understanding of genetics with expertise in molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid purification, quantification, and PCR (standard amplification, qPCR, and/or ddPCR)
- Experience with NGS, specifically library preparation and enrichment techniques are a plus.
- Experience with additional sequencing chemistries, such as long-read DNA sequencing are a plus.
- Experience with CRISPR-Cas techniques are a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in workflows and priorities while delivering timely results to meet company goals
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency with data analysis software (ie. Prism or JMP) and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.