What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Apriori Bio is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to lay the foundation for a Global Pathogen Shield protective interventions that that can neutralize a wide range of the most dangerous and rapidly evolving infectious pathogen threats. The company is developing a revolutionary approach to this challenge and recruiting a team of top-tier scientists to build what it believes will be a powerful, first-in-category R&D platform.
Apriori Bio is a product of Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT). Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Apriori Bio is seeking a Senior Scientist in Data Science with a track record of developing and successfully applying analytical tools to high-throughput assays. This role is positioned at a critical interface bridging high-throughput assays and computational methods designing variant-proof vaccines and antibodies against infectious disease. Experience in analysis of high-throughput functional genomics assays (e.g. deep mutational scanning) and data visualization is desired, as is technical expertise in protein engineering or structure, virology, vaccinology, and/or viral phylogenetics. The successful candidate will play a critical role in formulating and executing on a science & technology strategy that will allow the company to deliver against its near- and longer-term goals. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing and collaborative team, and should also be comfortable in a fast-paced start-up environment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Build robust computational tools to interpret data from viral deep mutational scanning experiments and apply learnings to product design
- Identify and source additional relevant external and internal datasets (e.g. viral sequence variation and phylogenetics, structural informatics) to augment the interpretation and application of viral deep mutational scanning data.
- Develop data visualizations to communicate learnings from analyses
- Collaborate with experimental and computational scientists to guide data analysis, interpret results, and build an iterative experimental cycle.
- Work with computational and experimental scientists to establish data management practices and SOPs to improve efficiency and reproducibility
- Provide technical input in support of company’s science & technology strategy, and monitor progress toward key strategic goals on an ongoing basis.
- Communicate insights and conclusions to colleagues in the scientific and leadership teams.
- Ph.D. or Master’s, with 5+ years of experience in computational biology, genomics, virology, immunology, or a related field.
- Scientific or quantitative computing experience (python preferred) and bash scripting
- Experience in implementing best practices in reproducible scientific computing (git, documentation, object-oriented programming, etc.)
- Experience in exploratory data analysis, statistics, and statistical inference (such as machine learning, Bayesian inference, etc.)
- Demonstrated success in analyzing high-throughput functional assays in an industry setting
- Experience with protein engineering, viral antibody responses or vaccine design, phylogenetics and/or analysis of viral sequence variation.
- Ability to work in and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Previous work with viral entry proteins, biological sequence or protein structure datasets, or computational vaccine design
- Wet lab experience in molecular biology, genetics, or biochemistry
- Demonstrated experience developing visualization and/or phylogenetic software.
- Experience with bioinformatics and data engineering (i.e., SQL/noSQL) tools
- Familiarity with collaborative data science environments, such as jupyterhub, databricks, sagemaker, dataiku, or alteryx
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.