What if… you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Metaphore Biotechnologies is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to reimagine drug discovery and vaccine design. The company is developing a first-in-class platform for the intelligent design of molecular mimicry. Our platform integrates massively parallel assays with machine-learning-guided protein engineering to navigate the combinatorial space of molecular interactions and design protein-protein interfaces with exquisite precision.
Metaphore Biotechnologies is a product of Flagship Pioneering's venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Metaphore Biotechnologies is seeking an entrepreneurial and strategic Vice President, Head of Data Platform. In this role, you will serve as a critical part of Metaphore's R&D Leadership Team, crafting a scientific, technical, and strategic vision linking the department of Computational Science with Discovery / Protein Engineering and Translational Sciences. You will lead the computational team toward fulfilling the most impactful vision for Metaphore, accelerating and expanding the computational platform through scientific innovation, strategic decision-making, and operational excellence. The ideal candidate will bring substantial experience in the application of machine learning to the design of protein therapeutics such as monoclonal antibodies. Strong leadership and team building skills are essential, as are an innovative outlook and a propensity for leveraging and inventing novel technologies for the generation of new, transformative medicines.
- Design a vision for a first-in-class data and automation platform poised to unlock the therapeutic potential of molecular mimicry
- Oversee the development of computational infrastructure including integrations with lab automation, NGS data pipelines, databases, ETL services, and user interfaces
- Collaborate with the broader leadership team to develop the company’s scientific strategy
- Identify opportunities to expand the platform through commercial or in-house computational tools
- Collaborate closely with Discovery / Protein Engineering to establish capabilities to produce large datasets that optimally inform both machine learning and biophysical modeling
- Recruit and develop a top-performing computational team, supporting a creative, open culture motivated by the potential for scientific novelty and patient impact
- Support the continued protection, creation, and expansion of the company’s intellectual property
- Develop relationships with Flagship Pioneering’s broader data science community
- Establish and oversee external projects and scientific collaborations
- Identify, onboard, and leverage key external datasets
- Present to the company’s Board of Directors, Scientific Advisors, and external stakeholders
- 12+ years of R&D experience across biotech/tech and academia including leadership of mid-size data science teams
- PhD or equivalent in computational biology, computer science, or a related field
- Experience applying machine learning to protein engineering
- Experience collaborating with wet lab scientists and managers
- Well-developed executive skills demonstrating sound business judgment, the willingness to seek and incorporate other perspectives, balance alternatives, the courage to make decisions based on incomplete information, establish priorities and apply resources effectively
- Ability to clearly and compellingly communicate Metaphore Biotechnologies' vision to external parties
- Demonstrated credibility in R&D and academic communities
- Demonstrated ability to work with highly technical teams in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to identify and creatively solve scientific and leadership challenges
- Ability to develop and recruit top scientific and engineering talent
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.