Flagship Pioneering has conceived of and created companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Editas Medicine (NASDAQ: EDIT), Omega Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OMGA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Indigo Agriculture. Since its launch in 2000, Flagship has applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures. In 2021, Flagship Pioneering was ranked 12th globally on Fortune’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies.
Alltrna is the world’s first tRNA platform company to decipher tRNA biology and pioneer tRNA therapeutics to treat thousands of diseases. Alltrna unlocks tRNA biology to correct disease. The company's platform incorporates AI/ML tools to learn the tRNA language and deliver diverse programmable molecules with broad therapeutic potential. Alltrna has an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to unify treatment across a wide range of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation. Alltrna was founded in 2018 by Flagship Pioneering. For more info, visit www.alltrna.com.
About The Role
Alltrna is looking for a passionate, creative scientist to join and our highly inter-disciplinary design team focused on the advancement of our tRNA therapeutic platforms. This effort is driving forward a deeper mechanistic and structural understanding of synthetic tRNA molecules. The successful candidate will join our highly innovative RNA/oligonucleotide synthesis team and have a strong background in oligonucleotide chemistry/biochemistry through in-depth hands-on experience in the synthesis, characterization, and purification of oligonucleotides as well as their potential biological applications.
If you like a fast-paced, science driven research environment discovering how a new therapeutic modality can be shaped to meet the needs of patients suffering from serious underserved diseases- this is the role for you. You get to be part of the team that writes the playbook for developing tRNA molecules and you will be critical not only in ensuring that we can understand how our tRNA molecules can be synthesized using automated systems but also in defining how we support our drug discovery efforts. We operate in an open and inclusive learning environment and need nimble thinkers who can chart courses and plan experiments based upon the data that we generate together.
- Design and execute the automated solid-phase oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, and characterization with various new chemistries using state-of-the-art instrumentation platforms; Support the development and improvement of the current oligonucleotide synthesis to expand upon current RNA synthesis capabilities.
- Maintain the routine operation of oligonucleotide synthesis, characterization, and purification. Help to improve the internal oligonucleotide acquirement workflow.
- Work closely with registration and platform teams, manage multiple oligonucleotide synthesis projects simultaneously to support the discovery of the novel engineered tRNA therapeutics.
- Contribute to oligonucleotide design and synthesis strategy. Identify, develop, and implement both existing chemistries and develop novel chemistry solutions for Alltrna ’s novel oligonucleotide therapeutics platform.
- As a key member, work effectively with cross-functional teams such as DMPK, biology, pharmacology, and R&D Informatics. Collaborate with CMC in scaling up and transition of the novel modalities/processes into development.
Qualifications and Skills
The preferred candidate will ideally also possess the following skills:
- BS/MS degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline with relevant industry experience, or A Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline with 1+ year relevant experience post-degree experience in an industrial or academic setting.
- Strong experience in solid-phase synthesis techniques is required. (Prior experience in automated oligonucleotide synthesis is preferred)
- Strong laboratory skills and experience with analytical instrumentation such as HPLC, LC-MS, UV-Vis spectrometry, etc. is required. Experience in developing new chromatographic methods (IEX/RP HPLC, SPE, LC-MS) is a plus.
- Ability to recognize impactful areas of research and organize individual efforts to investigate using a broad range of approaches.
- Solid strategic thinking and excellent communication and project management skills.
- Working knowledge related to oligonucleotide conjugation chemistries, RNA biology and oligonucleotide screening technologies to facilitate effective team collaboration, is a plus.
What We’ll Offer You
- Comprehensive, competitive healthcare and dental coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, vision coverage through VSP, family leave, paid time off, 401k retirement plan, disability and life insurance, and fully covered parking/commuter benefits.
- A dynamic early-stage work environment and highly interdisciplinary, talented, and collaborative team.
- Participation in an unprecedented opportunity to advance a single tRNA medicine to restore disrupted protein production, regardless of target, for thousands of diseases with the same underlying genetic mutation.
- Professional growth opportunities through mentoring, training, immersion in cross-functional projects, and opportunities to learn and try new things.
Our Core Values
- PATIENTS DESERVE BETTER. We are transforming medicine, boldly building a new future for patients.
- CURIOSITY SPARKS DISCOVERY. We ardently explore the unknown, catalyzing new scientific breakthroughs.
- COURAGE PROPELS US FORWARD. We take thoughtful risks without fear of failure, growing with each experience.
- OUR PURPOSE FUELS US. We each lead and work with focus and passion to design groundbreaking tRNA medicines.
- WE ARE ONE TEAM. We are united on trust and collaboration, embracing all voices and experiences.
WE GIVE IT OUR ALL, EVERYDAY, FOR PATIENTS EVERYWHERE. WE ARE ALLTRNA.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.