Flagship Pioneering conceives, resources, and builds life-changing companies (including the now familiar drug and vaccine innovator, Moderna Therapeutics). Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in 500+ issued patents and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. We harness science and entrepreneurialism to envision alternative futures, beginning with seemingly unreasonable propositions and navigating to transformational outcomes through an iterative, evolutionary methodology. We call this process “pioneering”. We believe pioneering is best done in teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated.
Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, we have created companies leveraging advances in computing, big data and AI. In recent years, this trend has accelerated with first-in-category life science companies such as Generate Biomedicines, Cellarity, Valo, Apriori, and many others creating breakthrough innovations using AI and ML technologies.
The Artificial Intelligence (AI) track of Flagship Pioneering’s Fellowship provides an unrivaled opportunity for individuals to apply the latest computational advances through our pioneering venture creation process. We are looking for extraordinary computational scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs to learn our unique company creation process and work alongside individuals within the Flagship Ecosystem focused on solving the most impactful challenges in AI and the life sciences.
At Flagship Pioneering, company creation begins with investigating “What if?” and “If only…”. Our AI Fellows will work in teams, asking “What if” or “If only” and starting with a blank sheet of paper, relying not on literature but on their scientific instincts and creativity to generate novel scientific concepts that challenge dogma. AI Fellows will learn to variate, iterate, and shape these ideas into unreasonable yet compelling venture hypotheses. Flagship Pioneering AI Fellows will also advance these innovative computational technologies through a hands-on collaborative implementation project.
As a Flagship Pioneering AI Fellow you will:
- Learn Flagship Pioneering’s system of generating and refining actionable pioneering hypotheses
- Exhibit and develop your creativity, adaptability, and ability to innovate
- Contribute to the creation of game-changing ideas & innovations based on AI and ML models that can be developed into the next breakthrough companies
- Contribute to the development of novel computational tools and methods to accelerate breakthrough innovations in health and sustainability
- Leverage data generated by Flagship companies to build ML models and uncover valuable scientific insights
- Work directly with highly experienced Flagship Pioneering team members—a group of widely recognized scientists, entrepreneurs, and executives
- Build relationships and expand your network with a diverse and highly successful group of peers
- Explore opportunities to become a full-time member of the Flagship Pioneering team or one of our AI/ML-focused companies
More information on the Flagship Pioneering Fellowship is available here.
2023 Fellowship Details:
- The Flagship Pioneering Fellowship is full time from June 5, 2023 – August 25, 2023.
- Flagship Pioneering Fellows receive a stipend and work at the Flagship Pioneering offices in Kendall Square (55 Cambridge Parkway, Cambridge, MA)
- Cycle 1 application deadline: January 13th
- Cycle 2 application deadline: March 10th
- We encourage all applicants to apply as early as possible
- Completed or within the final year of a MS or PhD program in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, physics, computational biology or another discipline with a strong quantitative focus
- Deep research and/or industry experience in at least one of the following fields: machine learning, robotics, computer vision, computer simulation, computational biology, computational neuroscience, computational chemistry or any other field where AI/ML can be deployed at scale
- Deep understanding of statistical and algorithmic principles in data science
- Experience using various programming languages to implement ML algorithms
- Demonstrated leader, effective communicator, and strong team player
- Record of scientific and academic excellence and creative in the ability to solve complex scientific problems
- Willingness to challenge dogma
- Self-starter mentality
- Available for full time employment in Boston/Cambridge no later than May 2024
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.