Apriori Bio is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to design and produce next-generation vaccines that can protect against a wide range of the most dangerous and rapidly evolving infectious pathogen threats. The company is developing a revolutionary approach to this challenge and recruiting a team of top-tier experimental and computational scientists to build what it believes will be a powerful, first-in-category R&D platform.
Apriori Bio is a product of Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT). Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a highly motivated, collaborative, and detail-oriented Senior Laboratory Manager to join our quickly growing team and help develop a new class of vaccines. The successful candidate will have an advanced degree in Biology, Chemistry, or a related field and will have direct experience managing lab facilities, vendors, and teams within a fast-paced and dynamic science-driven environment.
- Maintain and optimize processes within the lab to increase efficiency and effectiveness, including as regards lab consumables and the scheduling of experiments and associated equipment.
- Oversee the design and build-out of lab space at a new location and manage relocation from Apriori Bio's current space.
- Coordinate the ordering, delivery, installation and maintenance of lab equipment, including through service contracts, preventive maintenance, calibration, etc.
- Ensure lab consumables are adequately stocked.
- Coordinate lab deliveries, shipments and waste removal.
- Collaborate regularly with scientists to identify and address any workflow bottlenecks, inefficiencies, opportunities for process improvement, and logistical or administrative issues in the lab.
- Coordinate annual lab permits and license renewals.
- Establish and implement lab management procedures; create and manage associated documentation.
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve operational problems, and address occasional lab emergencies.
- Oversee lab safety and regulatory compliance, including tracking of biologics, chemicals, and hazardous materials, and implementing PPE policies and lab safety rules.
- Manage lab safety program, including via training and safety committees.
- B.S. or M.S. in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, immunology, or related field
- 5+ years of experience working in a biotech / pharmaceutical lab environment
- Experience with tissue culture and aseptic techniques for cellular and molecular biology
- Direct experience with lab software and enterprise software systems
- A high level of initiative, good judgment, and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills; effective and proactive communication and ability to collaborate with a wide array of personalities and work styles, and across functional areas
- Knowledge of local, state, and applicable federal regulations relating to lab safety
- Great attention to detail, including a proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously, as well as the ability to think strategically and execute methodically
- Stellar work ethic and a passion for research
- 10+ years of experience working in a biotech / pharmaceutical lab environment
- Experience with both direct and indirect supervision of lab staff
- Familiarity with the Cambridge Biosafety Committee and its workings.
- Deep understanding of the research and development environment as well as High Throughput Screening technologies and operations
- Experience with the procurement and negotiation of goods and services in a lab environment.
- Experience working with LEAN and AGILE frameworks for project and process management