Sonata Therapeutics is a new, Boston-based Flagship Pioneering company revolutionizing the world’s understanding of the cellular microenvironment and its importance to human biology and disease. Our product-platform creates drugs based on a systematic, comprehensive characterization of the microenvironment in diseases with high unmet medical need. Through our pioneering science, we identify new targets for therapeutics that induce the release of a programmed diversity of signals with the potential for significant patient impact. Our employees are exceptionally passionate, accountable, collaborative, and innovative.
Sonata Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an organization dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Due to the expansion of our R&D capabilities, we are currently on the hunt for a leader in exploratory biology to drive strategy and experimentation in the early space of several indications, including regeneration, fibrosis, autoimmunity, and I/O.
As a Director, you will lead a small team of scientists in early discovery research to integrate several disease areas and determine if there is a potential strategy for re-engineering the cellular microenvironments of the varying cell types to treat or cure these diseases. You will work across the organization, especially with our Data Science and Platform Development teams, to prioritize investigational studies and develop robust research plans with aggressive timelines. You will partner with Senior Leadership to determine which programs should move forward to translation and help your team effectively transition projects to drug development teams across modalities.
Sonata Therapeutics offers the challenge and opportunity to work at an early-stage, big concept biotechnology company. Your efforts will enable the expansion of our biology platform into new therapeutic areas and our R&D portfolio that could lead to the development of life-changing therapies.
You will be making a significant impact by...
- Leveraging your understanding of disease biology, the early-stage drug development process, and relevant late-stage challenges to design and execute effective exploratory development programs in support of the overall R&D portfolio goals.
- Effectively engaging with cross-functional teams to define and revise development strategies and implementation plans.
- Continually analyzing progress toward delivering key data and interpretation essential for rapid, data-driven decision-making on projects.
- Engaging with the Leadership Team to ensure alignment of program strategy and operational plans and progress toward key milestones.
- Building, proactively managing, and professionally developing a high-performing team with diverse perspectives of Ph.D.-level Scientists and Research Associates to design, optimize, validate, and execute studies within aggressive timelines.
- Collaborating with our Platform team to continue to expand platform technologies and capabilities
As an excellent candidate, you will possess:
- Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree of relevance.
- 5+ years of experience in the drug development process and leadership experience in academic or industry settings, including education where applicable
- Expertise in the drug development process with particular in-depth knowledge of the early development space and overall drug development principles
- Working knowledge of all functional areas of exploratory development, including chemistry, biochemistry, biology, toxicology, translational medicine, early clinical development, etc.
- Demonstrated scientific acumen and mechanistic understanding of pharmacology and disease biology, especially in Fibrosis, Regeneration and/or Autoimmunity
- Ability to create clear key priorities for competing successfully in the evolving pharmaceutical and health care industry.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a cross-functional team to execute with urgency and drive to data-driven decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to objectively assess complex but relatively sparse data sets, make informed decisions and take action in the face of uncertainty.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully present complex programs to senior leaders and influence decision-making.
- Experience in successfully managing and leading high-performing teams
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor others to enhance performance and/or facilitate career progression.
- Ability to effectively and seamlessly multi-task and prioritize across multiple exploratory areas, with complex strategies and accelerated timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to advise and participate in business development due diligence evaluations and transaction recommendations.
Sonata Therapeutics and Flagship Pioneering are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status.