Each day, the lives of more than 2 billion people across the globe are impacted by chronic diseases. Moreover, the economic burden on society of treating chronic disease is spinning out of control. Today, this dire situation appears unlikely to change as >95% of global healthcare costs are spent on treating rather than preventing chronic diseases. Flagship Labs 84, Inc. is a privately held early-stage company that is applying advanced biological and computational platforms to discover breakthroughs in detection of and intervention against the etiologies that drive progression from health to disease. Our goal is to leverage our proprietary platforms to disrupt the current approach of treating chronic disease after symptoms onset. We endeavor to provide true health care rather than sick care to individuals that are at risk of progressing to disease.
FL84 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise dedicated to originating and developing first-in-category life sciences companies. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship-founded companies include Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, Seres Therapeutics, Evelo Biosciences, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL84 is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Scientist with expertise in translational assay development to join our early-stage biotech company. The successful candidate will be a driven, experienced scientist who is enthusiastic about leveraging state-of-the-art techniques and developing translational preclinical assays involving primary cultures, iPSC-derived models and/or organoid systems to help drive experiments that will unlock key insights underlying disease progression. An ideal candidate will pride themselves on their ability to craft scientifically logical stories out of complex data and convert them into executable experiments. The position will provide a unique opportunity to play a foundational role in the development of FL84’s translational preclinical platform.
- Collaborate with FL84 scientific team to design and execute cell-based, translational experiments to support key hypotheses
- Develop laboratory protocols and optimize workflow to build platform capabilities
- Research, design, and implement new disease models (in vitro and in vivo)
- Establish / troubleshoot / optimize preclinical, cellular-based assays
- Design and execute in vivo and in vitro functional validation experiments
- Drive development and validation of human biomarker assays
- Coordinate with CROs and external collaborators to support advancement of projects
- Maintain scientific and technical expertise through familiarity with scientific literature
- Communicate results to rest of FL84 team and executive management
- Help lead, mentor, and build experimental team
- PhD with 2+ years of experience in cellular biology, translational science, or related fields ideally in industry settings
- Deep knowledge of cellular and molecular biology, translational assay development
- Experience researching and implementing various animal and cell-based models of disease
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement primary cell, iPSC, and/or organoid experiments to test role of specific disease-related biology
- Experience working with human blood samples to identify biomarkers of disease
- Deep understanding of the role of translational research/medicine in drug development
- Domain knowledge related to common chronic diseases preferred (eg liver, kidney, heart, autoimmune diseases)
- Demonstrated ability to be a thoughtful contributor to experimental design and data analysis
- Ability to manage multiple projects and balance a broad set of priorities
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills across all levels within an organization and external
- Highly attentive to detail, flexible, and curious
- Experience leading and managing laboratory team preferred
Flagship Pioneering is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.