Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, funds, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster over 75 scientific ventures, resulting in $19 billion in aggregate value and 500+ issued patents. Since inception, Flagship has capitalized its growing portfolio with $1 billion coming from $2.5 billion of aggregate investor capital committed.
Flagship’s Digital Ecosystem
Flagship is driving innovations in how it manages and supports its growing portfolio of companies, including the development of a new cross-portfolio Digital and Data team. Flagship believes that the sophisticated use of modern digital and data technologies is a strategic differentiator for companies, with the potential to significantly alter their productivity, market position and long-term success.
The Flagship Ecosystem presents a compelling opportunity for impact-focused technology professionals for several reasons:
- Flagship companies create medicines that save and improve the lives of patients. Moreover, the companies in the Flagship network have the potential to dramatically change disease treatment, healthcare, and sustainable agriculture on a global scale.
- The Flagship network is composed of new and growing companies with widely varying needs that span all aspects of technology, presenting incredible opportunities for learning and development.
- Flagship creates new companies that operate without the burden of legacy systems or technical debt. Individuals that understand the technical opportunities and challenges in company growth will have the opportunity to influence and shape the trajectory of dozens of companies, with broad impact.
To deliver on this mission, Flagship seeks individuals who have a proven record of accomplishment of solving enterprise-scale challenges while thriving in a dynamic startup culture.
The Laboratory IT Systems Engineer provides IT support and service for laboratory-based computer systems. These lab computers and systems, used for in vivo and in vitro experimental assays, enable Flagship’s companies to carry out their core scientific missions and enable our digital strategy. Laboratory computers are owned by several portfolio companies, and some are shared among them. The role requires interaction with a variety of stakeholders including laboratory managers, researchers, informatics professionals and IT administrators.
The successful candidate will work across technical and scientific domains, design and implement on premise and cloud-based data and systems architectures, as well as drive and deliver portfolio-wide initiatives around raw laboratory instrument data management practices and governance.
This scope of responsibility includes engineering, IT, close-to-the-instrument support, and coordination with bioinformatics teams. The successful candidate will engineer solutions for cloud-native laboratory data management, ensuring that data solutions meet the needs of bench biologists and consumers of laboratory data.
- Design and implement procedures for the support and management of laboratory computers and devices
- Deliver GxP validation planning and execution for enterprise systems
- Develop and implement laboratory instrument data storage and curation standards and processes
- Safely store, organize, and archived structured and unstructured research data in a cloud-native environment
- Deliver laboratory instrument scheduling products and utilization analytics to stakeholders
- Act as Level 2 escalation point for laboratory IT support issues
- Design and implement software solutions for laboratory data storage, processing, and analytics
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree with equivalent experience, in IT or life science-related field
- 5+ years relevant work experience in biotech/pharma administering LIMS, laboratory monitoring systems, and laboratory systems software
- 5+ years' work experience with LC/MS, flow cytometry, protein purification, PCR, NGS instrument control systems
- 8+ years of software and systems engineering experience, including architecture, development, and administration
- 2+ years working with AWS
- Experience with evaluating, implementing, and managing scientific data management platforms
- Ability to adapt to increasing scope and complexity of work brought on by growth/change and helps others manage through change
- Strong written, oral, and public speaking communication skills