What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Flagship Pioneering is looking for a Director or Senior Director to join its Contracts team. The Director or Senior Director will be responsible for the drafting, reviewing, and negotiating of various agreement types relating to corporate activities and the research and development efforts of Flagship and its early-stage portfolio companies.
The successful candidate will draft agreements or generate agreements using legal templates, review third party agreements, and negotiate terms and conditions with for-profit and non-profit groups (vendors, CROs, academic laboratories, etc.) according to Flagship guidelines. The successful candidate will work closely with the Flagship Pioneering research community, external parties, the IP attorneys, and the corporate compliance, procurement and finance departments. This position will require handling a high volume of agreements while working under tight timelines.
- Independently draft, review, and negotiate various types of agreements (sometimes using contract templates)
- Suggest and create new templates to improve efficiency with the contracting process
- Advise and inform Flagship colleagues on the legal contracts process
- Serve as legal contact on various cross-functional teams
- Suggest and implement improvements to contracting process to build efficiency
- Assist with training of new employees and junior level Contracts team members
- Liaise with and seek guidance from IP team members as necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10-15 years’ experience with drafting and negotiating agreements in the biotechnology or drug discovery industry (either in an academic technology transfer office or pharmaceutical biotech company)
- Familiarity with, and ability to negotiate, intellectual property terms with guidance from IP attorneys
- Excellent organizational written communication skills and attention to detail
- Proficient with standard Office software applications (MS Excel/Word/PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and with others
- Effective cross-disciplinary communication skills and an eagerness to creatively engage the Flagship legal team, scientists, and business leaders to fully understand complex issues and craft innovative and pragmatic solutions
- The intellectual curiosity and drive to offer practical solutions to the team consisting of scientists, finance, and legal representatives, etc., while ensuring the strength and enforceability of Flagship’s agreements
- Demonstrated ability to handle a high workload and work successfully in a fast-paced environment
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.