Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™— a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a Senior Engineer of Lipid Nanoparticles Process Development. This person will oversee research associates / engineers and be responsible for LNP synthesis process development, process scale-up, process execution to make material for preclinical studies. This individual will be part of a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that is driving the LNP process development for a novel platform of Gene Writing.
- Guide and support the LNP production & process development team of research associates / engineers.
- Support a core function of the team to produce, characterize, and optimize LNP production
- Establish and implement a toolset to support LNP process development. This will include high throughput screening technologies and mixing systems for robust scale up to clinical production.
- Drive fundamental improvement of LNP synthesis understanding towards enhancements and simplification of LNP formation.
- Align LNP process development to support LNP formulation teams, with an emphasis on formulation definition, process robustness, scale-up, and stability.
- Support the generation of preclinical LNP material generation.
- Drive the selection, tech transfer, and coordination of contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) for GxP material supply
- Support the writing of protocols and technical reports to support drug product clinical development.
- Organize workstreams and complete individual and team objectives to maintain project timelines.
- Support the interactions across the company on behalf of the team to ensure alignment of the team’s activity with company priorities
- MS with 6d+ years or PhD with 3 years of relevant industrial experience. Degree emphasis in Chemical Engineering, Biomedical engineering, Bioengineering, or related field is preferred
- Preferably a track record of understanding and experience of RNA containing LNP synthesis and processing.
- Understanding of lipid chemistry, lipid modifications, lipid synthesis, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules.
- Demonstrated understanding of the current therapeutic discovery, and process development, especially in gene therapy, gene editing, mRNA, RNAi, or antisense
- Preferably a technical understanding and experience in biopharmaceutical process manufacturing operations including industry cGMP environment and tech transfer to CMO/CRO.
- Experience with high-throughput process development techniques and statistical design of experiments (DoE) strongly preferred.
- Preferably an experience of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- The ability to effectively influence the work of others
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and technical setting
- The successful candidate should be collaborative, communicative, and passionate about working with lipid nanoparticles leading to mediate the next generation of genetic medicines.
More About Flagship Pioneering:
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).