Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, funds, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster over 75 scientific ventures, resulting in $19 billion in aggregate value and 500+ issued patents. Since inception, Flagship has capitalized its growing portfolio with nearly $1 billion coming from $2.5 billion of aggregate investor capital committed.
Flagship’s Digital Ecosystem:
Flagship is driving innovations in how it manages and supports its growing portfolio of companies, including the development of a new cross-portfolio Digital and Data team. Flagship believes that the sophisticated use of modern digital and data technologies is a strategic differentiator for companies, with the potential to significantly alter their productivity, market position and long-term success.
The Flagship Ecosystem presents a compelling opportunity for impact-focused technology professionals for a number of reasons:
- Flagship’s companies create medicines that save and improve the lives of patients. Moreover, the companies in the Flagship network have the potentially to dramatically change disease treatment, healthcare, and sustainable agriculture on a global scale.
- The Flagship network is composed of new and growing companies with widely varying needs that span all aspects of technology, presenting incredible opportunity for learning and development.
- Flagship creates new companies that operate without the burden of legacy systems or technical debt. Individuals that understand the technical opportunities and challenges in company growth will have the opportunity to influence and shape the trajectory of dozens of companies, with broad impact.
To deliver on this mission, Flagship seeks individuals who have a proven track record of solving enterprise-scale challenges while thriving in a dynamic startup culture.
Every year, Flagship Pioneering launches multiple new, innovative life sciences companies. This is a unique opportunity for a senior, experienced and hands-on IT leader, preferably from the Biotech or Pharma industries to take on IT leadership for a number of these early and mid-stage Flagship portfolio companies, with responsibility for business & lab systems, IT services, infrastructure, projects, security, and partner relationships. This includes, but not limited to:
- Oversight and execution of the digital and IT-related launch of new Flagship companies
- Planning, coordination, delivery and change management for IT projects
- Creating systems roadmaps to meet strategic and operations needs of the company
- Oversight of core IT infrastructure, services and partners
- Implementation of Flagship digital security policies
The Senior IT Director reports to the Flagship Vice President of Information Technology.
Site & portfolio company IT Leadership:
- Business systems IT: Collaborate with company stakeholders to define business systems roadmaps; including data management & security, to meet strategic and operational needs of each company
- Core IT: Responsible for implementation and operation of all site and company infrastructure, end user computing and lab systems
- Operations: Responsible for overall IT process development, documentation & oversight, e.g., user, vendor & company onboarding, offboarding, end user support, lab support, and emergency management. Also owns IT-related communication and change management
- Projects: Owns the coordination, implementation and change management related to cross-Flagship Enterprise Projects, as well as company and site-specific projects
- Security: Coordinate with CIO, CSO on implementation of security policies
- Relationships: Responsible for developing productive and strong company end user, executive, internal stakeholder, as well as vendor, and partner relationships. Also, critical to build connections and relationships across Flagship Pioneering Operations and Origination teams in order to meet strategic and operational needs of companies
- Budget/Finance: Will work with Flagship and/or company finance and contracts teams for all IT-related budget planning and ongoing financial management for companies and site(s)
- 10+ years experience of hands-on IT management, at least 5+ in Biotech – Pharma
- Extensive and hands-on expertise in:
- Business systems requirements, roadmaps, implementation & operations in a Biotech setting – including manufacturing & clinical systems
- Lab data and device management, e.g., LIMS, ELN systems
- End user computing systems, i.e., Mac, PC, mobile devices
- Identity management, e.g., Okta
- SAAS applications, e.g., 0365, Zoom, Slack, etc.
- Meeting room technology
- Experience with and understanding of:
- Cloud computing
- Information Security
- Experience managing technology projects; especially managing IT aspects of facility moves and buildouts
- Extensive vendor management experience
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Friendly, communicative, collaborative approach and style
- A degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, or another related field is desirable.