What if... We could harness the power of Flagship’s scientific platforms and create novel treatment options that benefit more patients, sooner?
Pioneering Medicines, a division of Flagship Pioneering, is building a world-class biopharmaceutical R&D capability focused on conceiving and developing life-changing treatments for patients by harnessing the power of Flagship's scientific platforms and applying those innovative approaches to serious diseases with unmet medical need. Unique to Pioneering Medicines’ approach is the opportunity to combine platforms to create truly novel and potentially transformative treatments.
About Flagship Pioneering:
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life science platform companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Reporting to the CSO, this position serves as a member of the Drug Discovery leadership team and will work collaboratively with all other Functions in Pioneering Medicines (PM), as well as with other Flagship Pioneering companies (FSP). This individual will oversee Discovery biology, translational and pharmacology activities within the company, a world-class organization dedicated to the discovery and advancement of novel therapeutic approaches across different disease areas. The ideal candidate will be have experience in target identification/validation, drug discovery, and preclinical translational research. This individual will play and serve as a critical interface between Discovery Biology/Translational Sciences and Clinical Development leadership to support a portfolio with several preclinical and clinical programs.
- Work with CSO and other company leaders to develop and implement Research Strategy
- Lead a department of cell biologists, pharmacologists and translational scientists for the discovery of new therapeutics in autoimmune and oncology space.
- Lead the investigation of disease biology and identification/validation of new drug targets and execute efficient preclinical lead optimization and translational biology, incorporating target engagement and functional biomarkers of drug action.
- Work across FSP to identify targets, platforms, or other areas of collaboration.
- Ensure scientific rigor across a robust portfolio of both early and late-stage discovery programs and exploratory research in emerging areas of autoimmunity and cancer
- Oversee strategic and tactical execution of discovery research and preclinical activities to enable robust, timely and compliant IND submissions with clear development paths
- Lead and recruit at the highest scientific caliber and maintain an effective network of outside partners, KOLs, collaborators and service organizations
- Lead partnerships with external collaborators to deliver company research priorities and meaningfully contribute to the product portfolio
- Participate in the identification and evaluation of potential programs across the FSP landscape.
- PhD in Cell Biology or related field with broad expertise in autoimmunity, metabolic disease and/or inflammation research.
- A minimum of 10 years of scientific experience after the doctoral degree and a distinguished record of progressive leadership in a relevant scientific organization(s)
- Solid background in drug discovery is required
- Experience leading propjets and teams in pre-clinical pharmacology, inflammation and/or translational research
- Extensive publication record in first-tier journals and a knowledge-base that can contribute to an innovation-centric research organization
- Outstanding management expertise with strong administrative skills and experience in planning, scheduling, and execution of multiple programs and projects, strategic planning in a dynamic and cutting-edge research environment
- A demonstrated track record of being an effective collaborator
- The ability to recruit, train, and inspire a high-performing team that is prepared to meet the ongoing challenges and opportunities of a rapidly growing and ambitious organization