About the job
What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform healthcare and sustainability?
Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Flagship Pioneering is seeking an experienced and talented finance leader to join a first-in-category organization. The Director FP&A will be an instrumental player partnering with portfolio companies and will be responsible for providing business insights to our leaders to measure progress on company performance and assist with enhancing companywide financial planning and reporting including building of annual budget and managing the Long-Range-Plan Process.
- Act as a Finance Business Partner with the management teams to understand critical elements and the impact of financial decisions
- Manage organizational cash flow, budgeting, forecasting and reporting for several portfolio companies
- Prepare and present presentations to Board of Directors and Senior Management Teams
- Oversee and manage the financial planning and performance monitoring process for several portfolio companies
- Identify the risks and opportunities, as well as the necessary corrective actions in order to permanently promote the achievement of the portfolio Company objectives
- Support Series A and Series B Financing process including the maintenance of all the Financial Forecasts associated with those exercises
- Collaborate with the Accounting team on the management of leases, contracts, consulting agreements, venture debt financing arrangements and other financial commitments
- Assist with specific projects and initiatives unique to a fast-growing biotechnology start-up, such as system implementations and updates and business process improvements
- Continually evaluate and drive improvements across finance operations
- Provide Ad-Hoc Reporting and Analysis
- 10+ years of financial and accounting experience within Life sciences / biotechnology.
- BS/BA in accounting or finance; MBA/CPA preferred
- Strong business acumen; proven ability to effectively scrutinize and challenge assumptions and interpret the strategy and priorities of the organization in financial terms
- Excellent project management / leadership skills with demonstrated track record and ability to engage teams to work together towards common deadlines.
- Strong presentation skills to deliver succinctly and effectively deliver recommendations to senior leaders; frames complex concepts
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions and different culture
- Exceptional attitude, attention to detail and ability to motivate teams to do the same
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross functional team members and with external partners
- Ability to work within and meet all deadlines while executing on multiple deliverables
- Flexible, personable team-player, comfortable in a fast-paced, small company environment
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with both scientists and management
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto