Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™— a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
The Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist will be responsible for leading research efforts to support the therapeutic development of Gene Rewriter technology. We are searching for a driven, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable multitasking and working independently on various aspects of the platform. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team.
- Work with Platform team lead Gene Rewriters preclinical therapeutic development programs in cells and into animal studies
- Independently conceptualize, organize, and perform in vivo/ ex vivo/ in vitro studies to provide high quality laboratory-based investigative data to support project progression
- Apply scientific expertise in drug discovery to advance programs
- Provide scientific and technical leadership on therapeutic hypothesis, animal models and biomarker validation.
- Effectively communicate experimental findings, risks and changes accurately and concisely in both oral and written formats.
- Work independently and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Proactively identify critical path project goals, activities and constraints and propose mitigation plans when necessary
- Act as a key liaison with external collaborators and internal stakeholders and help guide research strategy in the focused therapeutic area
- Contribute to the preparation of study reports and summaries required for regulatory filings.
- Manage direct reports in a matrix organization.
- Ph.D. in the Biological Sciences with >3 years of industry experience in relevant field
- Background in human genetics, rare and orphan disorders and gene therapy or oligonucleotide therapy
- Ability to independently design, plan, and execute cell-based and in vivo experiments.
- Extensive experience in molecular and cellular biology assays such as mammalian cell culture, cell-based assays, immunoassays, qPCR/ddPCR, NGS, FACS and IHC/histology
- Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as excellent documentation and organizational skills.
- Experience in managing research associates or direct reports.
- Innovative and creative, proactive initiative-taking
- Ability to work cooperatively within a cross-functional team setting is critical as are good interpersonal communication skills and a strong attitude of accountability and ownership
- Strong organization skills with a track record of timely completion of project deliverables on tight deadlines
- Hands on experience in delivering novel therapeutics from idea to early clinical development
- Experience in research and characterization of mouse models of human diseases
- Experience with primary cell culture, iPSCs, MEFs or other human cell model systems.
- Experience with genome editing (e.g. CRISPR/Cas9) is highly preferred
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).