What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources and develops first-in-category life sciences companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where Flagship's team of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas into new fields and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world inventions and ventures. Flagship has more than 4.5B in capital under management and, since 2000, the firm has applied its hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in more than $50 billion in aggregate value, hundreds of issued patents and a current pipeline of more than 50 novel therapeutic agents undergoing clinical trials.
Flagship Pioneering is seeking an experienced and talented accounting professional to join a first-in-category organization. The Senior Accountant will be an instrumental player in the month end close for Flagship’s entities, will be responsible developing and implementing new accounting policies and procedures to scale within the organization, provide business insights to our leaders to measure progress on company performance, and assist with enhancing companywide financial reports, including enhanced analytics, cash flow management and consolidated reporting
- Perform and assist with month-end and quarter end close accounting tasks including preparation of journal entries for multiple entities ensuring compliance with US GAAP
- Conduct monthly and quarterly account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance
- Review of P&L accounts to resolve classification issues
- Ensure that reconciliations, supporting schedules and analysis are completed on a timely basis and in accordance with the monthly closing schedule
- Partner with Controller staff to develop and update annual budget and monthly forecasts
- Preparation and assistance with month end analytical review of actual versus budget/forecast
- Provide Ad-Hoc Reporting and Analysis
- Monitor and review new accounting pronouncements and implement where necessary
- Assist with specific projects and initiatives unique to a fast-growing biotechnology start-up, such as system implementations and updates and business process improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required
- CPA and 2-3 years of Big Four public accounting experience is preferred
- 1-2 years of biotechnology or life science industry experience preferred
- Substantial experience with GAAP financial reporting
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Detail-oriented personality
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Netsuite a plus
- Must have excellent analytical skills, with very strong attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team setting
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions and different culture
- Ability to work within and meet all deadlines while executing on multiple deliverables
- Flexible, personable team-player, comfortable in a fast-paced, small company environment
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with both scientists and management
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.