Tessera Therapeutics is an early-stage life sciences company pioneering Gene Writer™ platforms, a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna (MRNA), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ:MCRB), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
The position of Staff Accountant will play a central role in preparing and directing day-day accounting activities, including General Ledger (GL) reconciliations and entries as well as Payroll preparation and other ad-hoc reporting. The position will increasingly contribute to the month close process and be asked to problem solve internally with Tessera staff and externally with our Vendors to ensure accurate and complete accounting records. This is a unique opportunity to be the first Accountant hire, reporting directly to the Accounting manager, within a rapidly growing biotechnology company with cutting-edge, proprietary technology. This position will be based in the Somerville, MA offices, with the possibility of a hybrid work-from-home arrangement of 1-3 days per week based on candidate and performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with preparing monthly close process including balance sheet reconciliations, cash reconciliations, and fixed asset accounting.
- Prepare certain ad-hoc financial reporting and analysis;
- Assist the team with execution of process changes and improvements;
- Participate and contribute positively to the Company culture.
- Assist AP Specialist and Accounting Manager on invoice/vendor/related GL issues as needed.
- Assist within ADP Workforce Now by entering new employees and ensuring that personal information is properly populated in a timely manner by new hires;
- Maintain personnel files including required onboarding documents, updates to employees pay, address, and benefit changes;
- Grow into a position to independently prepare bi-monthly payroll runs, ensuring accurate incorporation of one-off pay situations.
- Bachelors or equivalent degree in accounting or related field
- 1-4 years of experience in public accounting or private industry. Life sciences/biotech industry preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of accounting principles including US GAAP and relevant accounting and financial concepts and Sarbanes-Oxley;
- Skilled in Microsoft suite, particularly Excel;
- Experience with Accounting/ERP systems, Netsuite a plus;
- Experience with Purchasing systems including Prendio a plus;
- Professional in all job aspects, including verbal and written communication;
- Ability to thrive in fast paced environment;
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member in a time sensitive environment with a positive attitude;
- Well organized, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail