FL84, Inc. is a privately held early-stage company that is leveraging advanced biological and computational tools to develop breakthroughs in both detection and intervention needed to secure our health. More specifically, FL84 is pairing various 'omics technologies with deep analyses of clinical data to map the underlying transition from health to disease.
FL84 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise dedicated to originating and developing first-in-category life sciences companies. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship-founded companies include Moderna Therapeutics, Rubius Therapeutics, Evelo Biosciences, and Indigo Agriculture.
We are seeking a research associate to work on our computational biology team who is enthusiastic about developing, learning and applying computational skills to understand complex biological systems and their relationship to clinical state changes. The candidate will help to design and implement novel approaches to handling biological data, initially focused on single-cell and single-nucleus RNAseq but rapidly expanding to multiple types of biological and clinical data. An ideal candidate will pride themselves on their ability to craft scientifically logical stories out of complex data, identify sources of technical or nuisance signal, and convert them into viable biomarker or therapeutic targets. The position will provide a unique opportunity to play a foundational role in the development of FL84’s preclinical platform.
- Support development and application of bioinformatics, computational biology, and machine learning tools to generate insights and hypotheses from high-dimensional molecular datasets, with an initial focus on time-series sc/snRNA-seq and genomic data
- Work with FL84 team to develop and apply novel ML models on heterogenous biological data
- Identify and explore internal and external datasets to address questions critical to FL84’s core objectives and generate testable hypotheses
- Ideate on how to align time-series biological data with clinically relevant inflection points identified in electronic health records, clinical trials, or other sources
- Develop clear, intuitive visualizations and communicate analysis results via presentations to a multi-disciplinary audience
- Cultivate a data-centric company philosophy by helping to maintain best practices for software development, data management, and infrastructure
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging technologies and models and identify opportunities for collaboration within Flagship Pioneering companies, academia, and third parties
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, or other related quantitative domains; a Master’s degree in the same fields is a plus.
- Proficient in Python or R (both is a plus), with practical data analysis experience
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology
- Motivated and team oriented, with an ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Must be able to think independently, work collaboratively and contribute to an active intellectual environment
- Ability to Google error messages and seek resolution from self-investigation
- Prior research experience
- Experience with sc/snRNAseq data
- Exposure to applying deep learning (DL) models to biological data
- Familiarity with AWS, GCP, or similar cloud-computing services
- Experience working with reference biological databases/datasets (e.g., TCGA) is a strong plus
- Experience running genome wide association studies (GWAS)