Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™— a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
Tessera Therapeutics seeks a motivated and creative Sr. Scientist to join a dynamic and collaborative team driving state-of-the-art mRNA process development for a novel platform of Gene Writing.
Expected Outcomes (1st Year in role):
In collaboration with senior management, create and manage the development of downstream processes for mRNA purification, scale-up, production and execution to produce drug product for preclinical studies
- Manage all in-house mRNA purification capabilities (not outsourced), by creating and establishing a scalable & transferable development process for producing high-purity material.
- Employ DoE principles to lead screening, optimization, and scale-up efforts for RNA purification through chromatographic separations and filtration processes (AKTA/TFF specifically).
- Use QbD principles to lead the development of a scalable and GMP compliant process.
- Lead industry innovation for mRNA purification techniques by curating state-of-the-art technologies and solutions using novel resins, chromatography modes, etc.
- Manage the development and qualification of reliable scale down models for high-throughput screening (HTS) experimentation.
- Manage project timelines, lead presentations to cross functional teams (formulation, analytical development, etc.), and regularly present high quality results and data to senior management.
- Draft SOPs and reports in support of drug substance and drug product clinical development.
- Manage PD team’s Research Associate(s) and their internal mRNA production execution.
- Advanced Degree (PhD or MS) with 3+ years of industry experience (will consider BS with extensive process development industry experience)
- Technical understanding and experience in biopharma process development in cell or gene therapy settings (protein, peptides, mRNA, virology)
- Hands on HPLC, AKTA and TFF lab equipment (separation/filtration) experience
- A collaborative and communicative scientist, passionate about leading to facilitate the next generation of genetic medicines
- Knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry, enzymatic and chemical reactions, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques.
- Hands on experience with in vitro transcription and mRNA purification technologies.
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).