Toran Therapeutics is a privately held, early stage biotechnology company creating an unprecedented drug discovery platform around transporter proteins to discover novel therapeutics. As the molecular gateways of our bodies, transporters are responsible for the flux of all biomolecules into and out of all cells and organelles. As a generally untapped but druggable class of proteins, transporters have been ignored because they are notoriously difficult to work with. Toran is developing novel biological and technological solutions for transporter biology to treat a broad range of diseases.
Toran Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an institute dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a highly motivated computational biologist with experience in bioinformatics and analytical pipeline development to join our team of passionate and expert scientists. S/he will join an interdisciplinary team to advance our target ID engine and implement computational tools to advance our high-value therapeutic programs and transporter platform. We are looking for a candidate with a passion for joining a pioneering, fast-paced, and collaborative start-up environment, with the opportunity to make a large impact to advance Toran’s mission. S/he will conceive, develop, and apply novel analytical pipelines to complex biological processes, diseases, and transporter-specific properties, across diverse therapeutic areas.
- Develop and apply bioinformatics, computational biology, and machine learning tools to generate insights and hypotheses from high-dimensional molecular datasets, with an initial focus on transcriptomics, metabolomics, and genome-wide screening data
- Identify and explore internal and external datasets to address questions critical to Toran’s core objectives and generate testable hypotheses
- Work with internal and external partners to develop and apply novel ML models on heterogenous biological data
- Interact collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of scientists both internally and externally to collectively advance therapeutic programs and platform development
- Explore, implement, and master new technologies, analyses, and best practices for data management and analysis
- Communicate ideas and results to internal and external parties in verbal, written, and presentation formats, with clear data visualizations
- Contribute meaningfully to building a world-class transporter platform at the forefront of scientific innovation
- Ph.D. or 5+ years of equivalent level of experience in computational biology or related fields
- Practical programming and scripting skills, preferably in Python and R
- Proficiency in creating reproducible workflows with an emphasis on Unix, Git, Jupyter or RMarkdown, and cloud computing environments such as Amazon Web Services
- Experience asking and answering biological questions using omics datasets, especially transcriptomics and metabolomics
- Experience working with biological databases such as GWAS, OMIM, HPA, DepMap is preferred
- Breadth of experience applying machine learning (ML) models to biological data is preferred
- Familiarity with cloud computing and data management is a plus
- Strong ability to analyze and communicate complex data sets and science in a clear and concise manner through written or oral communications
- Instinctive team player with excellent interpersonal skills and great attention to detail