Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™— a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
The Sample Management Automation Scientist will be responsible for defining, developing, and driving our sample management capabilities by developing and deploying cutting-edge automation platforms and technologies. We are searching for a driven, enthusiastic, and self-motivated individual who is comfortable multi-tasking and working independently on various aspects of the platform. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team.
- Gather detailed requirements from scientific groups and generate fit for purpose specifications and process maps for sample automation solutions
- Identify fit for purpose sample management automation for but not limited to:
- Sample storage
- Tube/plate labeling
- Tube/plate handling
- Sample handoffs between teams
- Develop custom sample/compound/reagent automation aliquoting and management strategy through collaborations with scientific stakeholders
- Drive adoption of above automation solutions through evangelization, trainings, and roadshows
- Develop and implement barcoding strategy in collaboration with Lab IT and automation groups
- Develop and implement naming convention strategy in collaboration with Lab IT, computational biology, and scientific groups
- Develop Benchling/LIMS HT barcoding, sample registration, and inventory workflows
- Incorporate sample management, tracking, and sample reporting in all aspects of automation
- Develop high-quality SOPs and training documentation for end-users
- Train end-users on automation workflows
- Improve sample handoffs between groups using automation and workflow optimization
- Develop automation metric tracking dashboards
- BS, MS, or PhD in molecular biology, computer engineering/science, or bioengineering with 5+ years of laboratory automation experience is required
- 5+ years of experience with reagent/sample/compound management activities in a biotech/biopharmaceutical setting
- Extensive experience programming and developing with at least one of the following laboratory automation software/hardware and liquid handlers such as Hamilton Vantage/STAR line, Tecan Fluent/Evo, Beckman i5/i7, HighRes, Biosero, etc.
- Extensive experience with acoustic dispensers such as Labcyte Echo
- Experience with at least one sample storage vendor such as Hamilton Verso, Brooks, TTP Labtech, HighRes, LiCONiC, etc.
- Experience with third-party sample management automation hardware such as decappers, tube labelers, dispensers, sealers/peelers, etc.
- Experience with LIMS and ELN such as Benchling
- Experience with at least one sample management software such as Titian Mosaic, Freezerpro, Benchling, etc.
- Experience with Python, C#, SQL, etc.
- Strong attention to detail and self-starter with the capability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- MS/PhD with 5+ years of sample management automation experience
- Experience with scheduling software such as Cellario, Green Button Go, Overlord, etc.
- Experience with integrating automated storage with liquid handlers and workcells
- Experience integrating sample management automation hardware fully into data infrastructure, scheduling software, cloud infrastructure, and analytics software
- Extensive experience in more than one of the above automation/liquid handling platforms
- Experience with sample storage automation such as LiCONiC or Hamilton storage
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.