Who We Are
Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate is seeking a creative scientist-leader with demonstrated success in both technical and management capacities to head our Protein Generation team. This individual will be responsible for all aspects of computational protein generation: innovation and technology development, pipeline advancement, recruitment, group development, and interdepartmental collaboration.
The Protein Generation team partners closely with the Machine Learning (ML) department to execute ambitious protein design projects by applying in-house proprietary state-of-the-art models that fuel our pipeline. This team works cross-functionally with the Protein Science and Medicines teams to understand the biological/biomedical needs and how they align with modeling capabilities to determine necessary design specifications. Based on these data, the Protein Generation team develops generation protocols and implement changes using cutting-edge machine-learning, optimization, and algorithmic thinking to produce protein sequences that meet these criteria.
The breadth of our protein generation platform means there is not a focus on a single molecular modality or disease area. We are requiring diverse expertise within the Generation group and tight integration between multiple aspects—computational optimization, machine learning, biological context, and medicines thinking—of each project. The Head of Protein Generation will serve as a key thought partner to the Chief Technology Officer, to whom the role reports, as well as the broader leadership team in all aspects of protein generation. This individual will also oversee recruitment for this group, and will be responsible for continued build out of this high-functioning team.
- Manage the portfolio of projects within the Generation group. Oversee planning, prioritization, capacity projection, and on-time delivery of generated protein variants.
- Closely collaborate with the ML group to: 1) execute generation projects in a matrixed fashion, bringing together colleagues with appropriate skill sets for each project, and 2) ensure results from generation efforts are maximally informing machine-learning and other model development efforts.
- Develop and lead a best-in-class protein generation team by attracting top-talent in the protein design space who combine a clear grasp of protein-science fundamentals with the ability to work with the latest in machine-learning advances.
- Guide the team on decision making related to algorithmic choices, generation protocols, and models, in close collaboration with the ML group.
- Ensure maximal utilization of data flowing back from experimental efforts towards continual learning of improved generation protocols, algorithms, and models. Be accountable for measuring and reporting on the impact of these data.
- Work closely with the Protein Sciences and Medicines groups to support pipeline programs and platform-development activities, coordinating on project planning and prioritization to ensure clear communication between protein-generation and protein-production and testing workflows.
- Advise the leadership team on staff and resource needs, organizational planning, technology development, and other aspects as Generate continues to grow.
- Functional level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results.
- Demonstrate the ability to work across functions, regions, and cultures. Embrace a diversity and inclusion mindset and role models these behaviors for the organization.
- Act as an effective team player who can engender credibility and confidence within and outside the company.
- Invest time in helping others to enhance their skills and perform at a higher level, including the skill and career development of direct reports.
- PhD in a protein science-related discipline.
- 10+ years of experience in computational modeling, protein design, and protein engineering.
- 5+ years of management experience.
- Track record of successful leadership, management, and development of multi-disciplinary teams. Strong judge of talent with the ability to make tough talent decisions.
- Unmatched sense of urgency. Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented.
- Values, communicates, and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect.