Empress Therapeutics is an early-stage biotechnology company pioneering Co-Evolved MoleculesTM, a repertoire of human-experienced chemistries that represent a privileged source of drugs, elite starting points for drugs, and new molecular insights into health and disease.
The Empression product platform uses artificial intelligence and principles from co-evolution and pharmacology to harness patient data and uncover novel disease insights and drug candidates. Our mission is to turn Co-Evolved MoleculesTM into products that can diagnose, prevent, and treat a wide range of serious diseases.
Empress Therapeutics, Inc. was founded in Flagship’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $19+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a motivated and innovative Pr./Sr. Scientist to join our Discovery Biology group to lead the high throughput biology platform development, including developing transcriptomics and systems biology approaches to complement our suite of translational in vitro assays for bioactivity and MoA interrogation. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in transcriptomic wet-lab experiments in the context of immunology/oncology target ID and mechanism of action interrogations. You will play an instrumental role in helping to develop R&D strategy, designing and executing experiments for MoA interrogation and Target ID/validation using RNA-seq, scRNA-seq, RNAi, and CRISPR-cas9 approaches. You will be responsible for establishing and managing external research projects. The successful candidate will have great entrepreneurial orientation, excellent communication skills and be a team player comfortable working in and contributing to a dynamic multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Lead the development of transcriptomics-based platform to generate MOA hypotheses and bioactivity insights.
- Design and execute cutting-edge transcriptomics-based screens to deconvolute Co-Evolved Molecule cell-type specificity and MoA in collaboration with the immunology group.
- Contribute creatively to the company’s R&D strategy, helping drive actionable biological hypotheses from the data.
- Identify emerging methods and tools in systems biology approaches, lead prototyping and implementation when applicable, and collaborate closely with the Computational Discovery group for in-depth data analysis.
- Lead and collaborate closely with other scientists and research associates.
- Manage external research parties and relationships including academic collaborators and CROs.
- Report results to scientific team and management
- Ph.D. in Biology, Biological Engineering, or related field with 4+ years of post-graduate research experience in biotech/pharma.
- Extensive experience using transcriptomics approaches to interrogate biological mechanisms in vitro in the context of immune cells, epithelial cells, endothelial cells, different cell lines and organoids.
- Advanced hands-on wet lab techniques required, including sample and transcriptomic library preparations, QC for transcriptomic analysis with bulk RNA-seq and scRNA-seq systems such as 10x Genomics.
- Well versed with the use of knockdown tools and small molecule approach for both pathway interrogation and target validation.
- Ability to operate without supervision and independently propose plan and delegate logical progress with experimental design.
- Proficiency with integration of statistical methods, data visualizations and pathway analysis tools (s.a. Ingenuity, GeneSpring) for mining omics data.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and attention to details
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Capable of conveying technical information in a clear and concise thorough manner.
- Flexible team player with Intellectual curiosity and proclivity for a fast-paced, entrepreneurial spirit with creative productivity.