Flagship Labs 63 Inc. (FL63) is a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company that is leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop a novel class of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional Scientist to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. or equivalent in molecular biology, RNA biology, or a related field, and a proven track record of scientific excellence as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record. The candidate’s career goals, technical skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Leverage your scientific knowledge and creativity to design, pilot, and optimize RNA-centric NGS methods for Illumina sequencing to meet the needs of several cross-functional teams.
- Anticipate and solve bottlenecks, scaling, and material limitations that slow wide-spread implementation of custom NGS methods.
- Identify gaps in our ability to characterize and understand systems of interest and contribute to the strategic thinking around meeting these needs.
- Prioritize and develop automation-compatible molecular biology workflows in close collaboration with our lab automation team.
- Communicate with cross-functional teams about the key capabilities and limitations of novel molecular biology methods to reduce barriers to their adoption and utilization.
- Continually cultivate scientific and technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature and attendance at scientific meetings.
- Very strong molecular and RNA biology background with extensive experience developing and performing custom RNA-centric NGS methods.
- Demonstrated ability to break down complex molecular biology workflows for efficient optimization and troubleshooting.
- Experience streamlining onerous, low-throughput molecular biology and NGS workflows to improve robustness, achieve scalability and ensure compatibility with lab automation.
- Experience extracting RNA from mammalian tissue samples and cells.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with an ability to discuss complex methods and data in a clear and accessible manner for all audiences.
- Experience with high-throughput RNA and protein extraction from mammalian cell or tissue samples.
- Ability to perform computational analyses related to NGS data.
- Experience using robotics for molecular biology applications.
- Experience working with nanopore sequencers or nanopore sequencing data.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.