We are seeking an innovative and driven chemist with passion for and experience in the discovery and development of oligonucleotide based medicines. You will be joining an innovative and collaborative team of researchers at Flagship Labs 63 (FL63) focused on leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop novel classes of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies (including the now familiar drug and vaccine innovator, Moderna Therapeutics). The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Sana, Seres, Codiak, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
As an early member of a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company, you will have significant influence on many aspects of company growth including platform development, creating and pursuing innovative medicinal chemistry approaches, and translation into the clinic along with the opportunity to grow as the company continues to expand. You will also benefit from opportunities to engage with the broader Flagship Pioneering ecosystem.
A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry, an additional 7+ years of relevant experience, a proven track-record of scientific excellence (strong publication/patent record). The candidate’s career goals, laboratory skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Independently design and implement extensive scientific research projects based on the overall FL63’s oligonucleotide chemistry strategy.
- Identify, develop and implement both existing ASO/RNAi chemistries and develop next-generation chemistry solutions for FL63’s novel oligonucleotide therapeutics platform.
- Provide direction for and implement bioconjugation solutions for delivery of oligonucleotide to target tissues.
- Contribute to the development of integrated drug discovery and optimization workflows that incorporate biological activity data, structure-based drug design, computational chemistry and machine learning approaches.
- Integrate screening cascade data and analyses into the development of SAR and SPR models, use them for human-guided and machine learning based oligonucleotide design.
- Contribute to multiple projects, acting as a domain expert or technical team lead, providing key technical knowledge to project teams with significant accountability for progress on projects important to achieving company goals
- Provide leadership in internal chemistry efforts and in managing external chemistry CROs, vendors, consultants, and collaborators.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively functional areas such as CMC, DMPK, In Vitro And In Vivo Pharmacology, R&D Informatics.
- Perform wet lab experiments and synthetic procedures on an as needed basis.
- Develop and contributes to FL63 intellectual property estate, support patent filing and prosecution.
- Prepare and organize data for presentations; communicate strategy and results in written and oral reports to various levels of management.
Qualifications and Skills:
- A Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry or equivalent with an additional 7+ years of relevant experience that includes nucleic acid chemistry, oligonucleotide-based drug discovery and development, a proven track-record of scientific excellence.
- Solid understanding of modern methods in synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on nucleosides, nucleotides and oligonucleotide synthesis, purification and analytical characterization as applied to nucleic acid therapeutics
- Demonstrated ability and track record of developing SAR and SPR models based on experimental data and computational chemistry input driving lead optimization campaigns to development candidate declaration
- Working knowledge of/experience with (i) oligonucleotide conjugation chemistries, (ii) formulation and tissue delivery/biodistribution strategies for nucleic acids, and (iii) oligonucleotide process chemistry
- Working knowledge of RNA biology and oligonucleotide screening technologies to facilitate effective team collaboration
- Interdisciplinary skill set in drug discovery areas of in vitro/ in vivo pharmacology, DMPK, and toxicology
- Strong organizational leadership skills with a proven track record in managing projects and execution in project teams.
- Excellent people manager to both direct and indirect reports at all levels. Models exemplary values and behaviors. Capable of effective developing the next generation of chemistry talent at FL63.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and lead external interactions and collaborations establish working relationships and effective communication with consultants, study directors and CROs
Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. ‘Wears multiple hats’ and is comfortable with ambiguity.