We are seeking an innovative and driven chemist with passion for and experience in the discovery and development of oligonucleotide based therapeutics. You will be joining an innovative and collaborative team of researchers at Flagship Labs 63 (FL63) focused on leveraging emerging insights in RNA biology to develop novel classes of human therapeutics.
FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies (including the now familiar drug and vaccine innovator, Moderna Therapeutics). The firm’s institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship’s portfolio companies include Sana, Seres, Codiak, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
As an early member of a privately held, well-funded, early-stage platform biotechnology company, you will have significant influence on many aspects of company growth including platform development, creating and pursuing innovative medicinal chemistry approaches, and translation into the clinic along with the opportunity to grow as the company continues to expand. You will also benefit from opportunities to engage with the broader Flagship Pioneering ecosystem.
A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry, an additional 5+ years of relevant experience, a proven track-record of scientific excellence (strong publication/patent record) and demonstrated success in platform building and cross-functional project execution. The candidate’s career goals, laboratory skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Contribute to oligonucleotide chemistry strategy; identify, develop and implement both existing ASO/RNAi chemistries and develop next-generation chemistry solutions for FL63’s novel oligonucleotide therapeutics platform.
- Provide leadership in internal chemistry efforts and in managing external chemistry partners and vendors.
- Develop and validate SAR and SPR models, use them in oligonucleotide design and data analyses.
- Contribute to multiple projects as a chemistry lead and project team member.
- Ensure timely and complete data and information capture and storage in FL63 databases and ELN. Provide timely and clear updates to project teams and various levels of management.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively functional areas such as CMC, DMPK, In Vitro And In Vivo Pharmacology, R&D Informatics.
- Support intellectual property development and filing.
- Perform wet lab experiments and synthetic procedures on an as needed basis.
- Support IP development and filing
Qualifications and Skills:
- A Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry or equivalent with an additional 5+ years of relevant experience that includes nucleic acid chemistry, oligonucleotide-based drug discovery and development.
- Deep understanding of modern methods in synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on nucleosides, nucleotides and oligonucleotide synthesis, purification and analytical characterization as applied to nucleic acid therapeutics.
- Working knowledge related to oligonucleotide conjugation chemistries.
- Inter-disciplinary skill set related to relevant drug discovery processes including in vitro/ in vivo pharmacology, ADME, PK/PD, toxicology and formulations.
- Solid strategic thinking and excellent communication skills for developing/articulating program strategy, risk mitigation plans and milestones to senior leadership.
- Working knowledge of RNA biology and oligonucleotide screening technologies to facilitate effective team collaboration.
Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive ‘can-do’ attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. ‘Wears multiple hats’ and is comfortable with ambiguity.