What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, Flagship Labs, is where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT) were conceived and created. Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Flagship’s Digital Ecosystem:
Flagship is driving innovations in how it manages and supports its growing portfolio of companies, including the development of a new cross-portfolio Digital and Data team. Flagship believes that the sophisticated use of modern digital and data technologies is a strategic differentiator for companies, with the potential to significantly alter their productivity, market position and long-term success.
The Flagship Ecosystem presents a compelling opportunity for impact-focused technology professionals for a number of reasons:
- Flagship’s companies create medicines that save and improve the lives of patients. Moreover, the companies in the Flagship network have the potential to dramatically change disease treatment, healthcare, and sustainable agriculture on a global scale.
- The Flagship network is composed of new and growing companies with widely varying needs that span all aspects of technology, presenting incredible opportunities for learning and development.
- Flagship creates new, cloud-centric companies that operate without the burden of legacy systems or technical debt. Individuals that understand the technical opportunities and challenges in company growth will have the opportunity to influence and shape the trajectory of dozens of companies, with broad impact.
To deliver on this mission, Flagship seeks individuals who have a proven track record of solving enterprise-scale challenges while thriving in a dynamic startup culture.
In this unique and exciting role, you will operate across our portfolio of early to mid-stage companies, working directly with scientists and founders. You’ll help newly launched companies get started with strong data management practices and help growing companies deal with the challenges associated with increasing volumes and variety of data. In collaboration with Flagship Digital colleagues, you’ll define standards that are generally applicable across the portfolio, including assay templates for ELNs, entity models for registration and inventory systems, data dictionaries and guidelines for organizing data in their scientific context.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in data management for life science or healthcare organizations, experience with a variety of research data types and skills in data modeling, SQL and Python.
This position will be part of the Flagship Digital team, reporting to the Vice President of Data & Systems Engineering. We are seeking individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong communication skills, and comfort working in and contributing to a dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The level of the role will be commensurate with the education and years of experience of the identified candidate.
- Perform data-centric business analysis and provide guidance around data management and integration strategies to individual companies across our portfolio
- Create standards and provide implementation services around scientific research metadata, controlled vocabularies, ontologies and quality control
- Establish a library of best practices and reusable elements (e.g. data models, templates, etc) for common research entities, assays and other scientific data
- Collaborate with company stakeholders and Flagship Digital to ensure data from content generators (e.g. lab instruments, CROs, etc) land in cloud environments in an organized and contextual manner
- Become an expert consultant on the most common ELN, LIMS and data management systems used by our companies (e.g. Benchling)
- Educate and assist companies on the pragmatic application of FAIR principles
- Develop strong relationships with our companies as well as Flagship Digital and operations colleagues
- May lead small teams of consultants to deliver solutions
- BS, MS or PhD degree in molecular biology, bioinformatics, computational biology or related field
- 3+ years experience managing life science research data
- Experience using, modeling and integrating modern research-support systems, including ELN, LIMS, etc. (Benchling experience preferred)
- Experience leveraging controlled vocabularies and ontologies for the purpose of metadata harmonization and integration
- Experience with AWS, Python, database development, IaC and DevOps best practices
- Familiarity with a variety of data repository technologies, including S3, databases, data lakes, etc
- Knowledge of public life science datasets (e.g. GTEx, TCGA, UKBB, etc)
- Familiarity with the data and metadata needs of both wet and dry labs
- Goal-oriented and organized yet flexible with excellent project management and communication skills
- A people person with an exceptional ability to collaborate with scientists of different backgrounds
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.