Tessera Therapeutics is an early-stage life sciences company pioneering Gene Writing, a new biotechnology designed to offer scientists and clinicians the ability to write small and large therapeutic messages into the genome, thereby curing diseases at their source. Gene Writing holds the potential to become a new category in genetic medicine, building upon recent breakthroughs in gene therapy and gene editing while eliminating important limitations in their reach, utilization, and efficacy. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a life sciences innovation enterprise that conceives, resources, and develops first-in-category companies to transform human health and sustainability.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a motivated and creative Scientist/ Senior Scientist to join a team of scientists and engineers focused on development of robust and scalable purification processes for manufacture of AAV viral vectors. The candidate will provide subject matter expertise for development, optimization, characterization, and scale-up of downstream processes and tech transfer to the GMP facilities.
- Lead development of high yielding and scalable purification processes for AAV manufacturing.
- Design and execute the small-scale experimental plan for screening, optimization, and scale-up efforts for AAV purification and interpret the results independently.
- Perform chromatography experiments using AKTA and high throughput (e.g., Tecan) systems.
- Perform bench scale filtration experiments and assist with process scale-up.
- Troubleshoot lab workflows and maintain lab equipment.
- Evaluate novel technologies to improve existing AAV purification processes.
- Assist in development of in-house AAV production capabilities to supply of high quality AAV for pre-clinical and platform development.
- Interact with external CMOs, vendors, and partners and assist in technology transfers to CMOs.
- Collaborate effectively with cell culture and analytical development teams.
- Draft protocols and technical reports and participate/present to stakeholders internally and externally.
- Write protocols and technical reports and participate/present to cross-functional teams.
- MS with 6-10 years or PhD with 0-4 years of relevant industrial experience. Degree emphasis in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or Biological Sciences.
- Strong technical understanding and experience in chromatography and membrane separations for viral vectors or biologics. A proven track record of AAV downstream process development is strongly preferred.
- Experience with AKTA chromatography and tangential flow filtration systems is required.
- Experience with high-throughput chromatography and filtration process development platforms and statistical design of experiments (DoE) is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of GMP/ICH/FDA regulations for early-stage viral vector gene therapy programs is preferred.
- A strong self-starter, independent thinker, with a strong attention to details.
- Ability to generate, develop, and implement innovative ideas and deal with difficult scientific problems.
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and technical setting.
More About Flagship Pioneering
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has, through its Flagship Labs unit, applied its unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $50B in aggregate value. To date, Flagship has deployed over $2.2B in capital toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $18B of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ: FHTX), Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Sigilon Therapeutics (NASDAQ: SGTX).
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.