Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of deterministic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and therapeutics that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $80 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 37 transformative companies, including: Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Indigo Agriculture, and Sana Biotechnology.
Generate is seeking a highly creative and driven Scientist/Sr. Scientist to join our growing Platform Innovation team. This team works at the intersection of synthetic biology, microfluidics, microfabrication, automation, and Machine Learning to establish truly novel biological and biochemical workflows that help enable high-throughput data generation throughout the company. The ideal candidate has a proven track record in experimental synthetic biology, preferably in combination with computational modeling and/or statistical analysis. She/he will be the team’s lead scientist on the design and implementation of high-throughput NGS-based assays, synthetic biology, and biological engineering. The candidate will play a central role in growing the team and establishing it as a world-class place of technology development and ideation. Close collaboration with members of Generate’s Protein Science, Medicines, and Machine Learning teams will be key to produce strategies to get maximally informative, quantitative data from our experiments. This is an opportunity to perform highly innovative technology development with considerable intellectual freedom, while being part of the collaborative and premier scientific environment of a well-funded biotech startup.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design and implement state-of-the art high-throughput NGS-based workflows for assays interrogating the biophysical and biological properties of proteins.
- Design large libraries of variants with NGS readout in mind, to obtain accurate and maximally informative datasets.
- Work closely with the Machine Learning and Computational teams for data extraction.
- Generate bold, creative, and unconventional ideas.
- Work together with members of the Platform Innovation team and other teams to help identify opportunities for our microfluidics platforms.
- Present ideas and data, and incorporate feedback, within a cross-functional setting.
- Support proposed experiments with theoretical analysis, modeling, and literature review.
- Generate novel intellectual property and contribute to patent writing.
- Oversee, mentor, and train junior scientists within the team.
- BSc/MSc with 6+ years of relevant experimental experience or PhD in a relevant science/engineering field (physics, synthetic or systems biology, biomedical engineering, or related discipline).
- Demonstrated expertise in the design and implementation of synthetic biology and biological engineering experiments.
- Comfortable analyzing data using custom scripts in MatLab, Python, or similar programming language.
- Have a solid quantitative mindset and a strong scientific intuition.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive and execute applied biology projects.
- Self-motivated and curious with a desire to learn from and teach others.
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.