Laronde is an early-stage biotechnology company with the mission to become the leader in the development of nucleic acid medicines by leveraging its multi-modality eRNA platform. Our modular Endless RNA™ (eRNA) platform, will be supported by a large-scale digital and manufacturing infrastructure with the bold vision of 100 new medicines within the next decade. With eRNA, we’re making new therapeutics that will become essential medicines of the future to address unmet needs across multiple disease areas. Check out www.laronde.bio for more information on our vision and eRNA platform.
Laronde was founded by Flagship Pioneering, a team of entrepreneurial scientists that conceives, creates, resources and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has created over 100 groundbreaking companies pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Moderna Therapeutics (MRNA), Seres Therapeutics (MCRB), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), Kaleido Biosciences (KLDO) and Indigo Agriculture.
As the Head of Human Resources you will drive key Human Resources (HR) best practices and initiatives, provide strategic direction, and provide expertise for the full scope of the HR function for Laronde. Reporting directly into the Chief Executive Officer, you will develop and execute the HR strategy for the organization and be responsible for leading the company’s people function, structure and policies.
Strategic Thought Partner & Talent Advisor
- A strategic thought partner and talent advisor to the CEO and Leadership Team
- Develop and implement an HR plan that aligns with the overall mission and strategy of the organization, resulting in innovative, best practices and policies that will service the full range of the company’s HR needs to help build a high-performing culture of success, accountability, transparency and collaboration.
- Gain an understanding of the organization and participate fully in all strategic deliberations. Act as a strategic partner to all members of the LT and provide insightful, innovative thinking and problem solving on critical HR issues.
- Build and Optimize the HR function/team, modernize and refine key processes and activities aligned toward achieving strategic objectives.
- Provide HR guidance on special projects, HR analytics & reporting, talent reviews, training, change management, performance management, organizational design, diversity and inclusion.
- Proactively manage resource allocation and maintain a competitive approach to recruiting and assimilating high-potential talent. Advise on people programs and processes to enhance talent attraction, retention, development, and succession. Partner with Finance in overseeing organizational headcount budget, people related costs and departmental budget.
- Develop comprehensive approaches to employee development, retention and onboarding by refining or creating: compensation and benefits, career paths and employee development, succession planning, and learning opportunities as appropriate to the needs of the Company.
- Oversee compensation practices and philosophy to ensure salary benchmarking and surveys are handled on a regular basis.
- Partner with external immigration counsel to support the Visa and Immigration processes for candidates and internal talent.
- Interact with vendors and external partners to create and maintain relationships and negotiate contracts. Advise and lead on benefits plans and renewals for healthcare and 401k plan design.
- Partner with external legal counsel as required to ensure compliance requirements are met to mitigate organizational risks.
Culture & Talent Development
- Develop strong relationships with employees and become someone who is sought for advice and counsel on HR, cultural, and organizational issues. Facilitate integration of diverse workgroups and cultures.
- Coach and counsel LT in developing themselves and their teams to achieve improved performance and engagement
- Counsel, coach and guide managers and staff in addressing concerns and complaints to assure fair and equitable treatment while ensuring compliance with local labor regulations and practices.
- Coach and mentor fellow colleagues/managers and develop leadership bench strength capable of addressing the challenges of a highly dynamic organization.
- Mediate employee relations and performance issues and provide counsel to fellow managers on appropriate methods of performance management.
- Role model the company’s core values and demonstrate leadership consistently with all members of the company
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in HR leadership positions, ideally in a biotech or startup environment. Previous experience supporting R&D organizations is a bonus.
- Strategic experience developing and executing HR strategy
- Solid knowledge of all facets of HR with specialized expertise in at least 2 areas.
- Experience as an HR Business Partner supporting executives or senior leadership.
- Broad knowledge of state and federal legal compliance requirements.
- Working knowledge of benefits, 401k, compensation and other operational HR matters.
- Experience presenting HR data and metrics showing impact on business areas incluidng Finance, Legal, IT, payroll, and administration.
- Demonstrated capability in adapting and innovating HR practices and solutions and right sizing them to the needs of a fluid and fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization.
- MBA or Advanced degree
- Certifications in HR (SPHR, GPHR).
- Results-driven, agile, change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment.
- Drive initiatives with limited resources and roll-up your sleeves attitude to achieve desired results.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness and credibility necessary to gain the trust and commitment of individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated success at cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating partnerships at all levels within the organization to achieve results.
- Empathetic and engaging individual, who listens well, is responsive, solutions focused and results oriented.
- Passionate about the mission of the Company, enthused by the challenges confronting the organization, and dedicated to achieving its goal.
- Excellent communications skills - written, verbal and interpersonal - and an ability to tailor communication style to diverse audiences.