Head of Research and Development Strategy
About Omega Therapeutics
Omega Therapeutics is a privately held, development-stage biotechnology company pioneering a new class of DNA-sequence-targeting, mRNA-encoded therapeutics to transform human medicine. The OMEGA Epigenomic Programming™ platform harnesses the power of epigenetics, the mechanism that systematically controls every aspect of an organism’s life from cell genesis, to growth and differentiation. The OMEGA platform has identified thousands of novel DNA-sequence-based epigenomic targets within Insulated Genomic Domains (IGDs), referred to as EpiZips™. IGDs represent the three-dimensional, distinct, and evolutionarily conserved architecture of the genome, and are the fundamental structural and functional units of gene control and cell differentiation. They act as the “control room” of biology. The OMEGA platform examines alterations in IGDs leading to aberrant gene expression, a cause of most disease. It then leverages its database of EpiZips to identify appropriate intervention points within the IGDs and rationally designs biologically engineered, modular, and programmable mRNA-encoded epigenetic medicines, called Omega Epigenomic Controllers™, to target EpiZips for Precision Genomic Control™. With its computation- and data-first approach, Omega Therapeutics is currently advancing a broad pipeline of programs that span regenerative medicine, multigenic diseases including immunology, oncology, and select monogenic diseases.
Omega Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering in 2017. For more information, visit omegatherapeutics.com.
About the Role:
Omega Therapeutics, Inc. is seeking an Sr/ED (commensurate with experience) to join our Strategy and Business Development Team.
- Develop and coordinate execution of long range R&D strategy, including key choices regarding areas of focus, investment levels, portfolio trade-offs and risks
- Pressure test R&D portfolio and projects relative to current and emerging SoC to ensure competitive product value propositions are being developed and prioritized
- Coordinate external inputs to pressure test and advance portfolio and individual asset strategy
- Integrate cross-functional inputs, external benchmarks and internal data analytics to develop and refine Omega R&D operating model
- Identify gaps/liabilities in Omega R&D process, capabilities, structure, communications, resource allocation and infrastructure and propose and execute on solutions
- Provide analyses and strategic planning input and decision support for Omega CSO and R&D Staff, employing project/program plans, resource needs and timelines
- Responsible for Operational management and cross-functional planning and to facilitate support of Omega R&D portfolio, including development, tracking and integration/analysis and reporting of R&D resourcing and vendor performance metrics
- Results-driven, enthusiastic, confident, innovative and highly motivated collaborator, and humble in approach
- Broad experience within the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry, as well as a thorough knowledge of drug development, is preferred.
- Experience in operational planning or project management
- Demonstrated ability working with highly skilled teams in a fast-paced environment
- Highly adaptable and responsive to changing technical and business needs; comfortable prosecuting multiple priorities, troubleshooting and working with dynamic timelines
- Strong analytical problem solving skills and ability to think strategically, creatively
- Comfort with multiple projects and ability to prioritize among deliverables
- Collaborative nature and team mentality with ability to execute as an individual
- Identify key internal/external communications needs/gaps, propose solutions and address rapidly, including via meeting facilitation, memos, etc. and working in partnership across functional areas
- PhD or MD in a life sciences field (e.g., biology, chemistry, biochemistry)
- MBA (preferred)
- 4-6 years of experience ideally in top tier strategy consulting, investment banking or industry, with a focus on life sciences and/ or R&D