Inzen Therapeutics is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company exploring ThanokineTM Biology as a surprising and vital driver of disease. While the ability of living cells to respond to messages from other living cells is a well-established concept, Inzen has identified that living cells also respond to messages released by cells as they undergo turnover and die. We call these messages ThanokinesTM, and the way a cell undergoes turnover dramatically alters the ThanokinesTM that are released. ThanokinesTM can elicit a broad array of responses in living cells, and we have demonstrated that ThanokinesTM plays a previously unrecognized role in the pathogenesis of many important diseases. Our mission is to pioneer a novel category of drugs based on manipulating ThanokineTM Biology to treat cancer, immune and fibrotic diseases, and regenerative processes.
Inzen Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an organization dedicated to the origination and development of first-in-category life sciences companies. Since 2000, Flagship has originated and fostered the development of nearly 100 scientific ventures resulting in $20+ billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
Due to the expansion of our R&D capabilities, we are currently on the hunt for a creative Associate Director, Synthetic Biology, to drive the early development of synthetic biology platform to engineer cells that mediate therapeutic activity via thanokine biology. You will work across multiple therapeutic areas and projects, providing scientific advisement to the design design and optimize expression cassettes for therapeutic payloads. You will establish new workflows, including new assays, to enable rapid optimization. You will also lead a small team, assigning projects, managing performance, and providing training to new and existing team members.
Inzen Therapeutics offers the challenge and opportunity to work at an early-stage, big concept biotechnology company. You will be essential to expanding our technologies with novel approaches to platform engineering.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop a synthetic biology platform to engineer cells that mediate therapeutic activity via thanokine biology across various indications, including oncology and fibrotic disease.
- Apply their deep technical knowledge of multiple aspects of gene regulation to design and optimize expression cassettes for therapeutic payloads
- Establish a systematic workflow incorporating appropriate assays and QC metrics to enable rapid optimization of payloads
- Drive the exploration and implementation of transformative research-scale process development innovations
- Provide technical and scientific leadership, including hands-on execution of experiments and training of junior colleagues
As a Strong candidate, you will possess:
- Ph. D. in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Bioengineering, or other relevant discipline and 5+ years' experience of relevant research experience within biotech/pharma industry or equivalent combination of education/experience is required.
- Demonstrable track record in cell engineering, especially primary human immune cells, using cutting edge genomic editing tools in a drug development environment
- Expertise in advanced cell culture techniques, including familiarity with large-scale compatible manufacturing techniques and industry best practices, is required.
- Demonstrated know-how with viral vector engineering, especially AAV, for use in ex vivo or in vivo cell engineering is required
- Familiarity with cutting-edge standards and including analytical methodologies for cell medicine development is required
- Knowledge and/or experience with synthetic biology techniques is a must!
- Must have experience and the ability to think critically and develop creative ideas to contribute to strategic decision-making.
- Must possess the ability to adapt to and leverage your superior problem-solving skills in a face-paced environment and the flexibility to change priorities as needed.
- Superior verbal/presentation communications skills required to persuade cross-functional teams to make decisions based on sound scientific expertise.
Inzen Therapeutics and Flagship Pioneering are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status.