Generate Biomedicines, Inc. is a Flagship backed, privately-held biotechnology company on a mission to reimagine the drug discovery process to one of dynamic, data-driven generation. We pursue this audacious vision because we believe in the unique and revolutionary power of generative biology to radically transform the lives of billions, with an outsized opportunity for patients in need. Generate will be successful by constantly turning innovative ideas into methods, technologies, and products that solve some of the most difficult challenges with developing medicines. We are seeking collaborative, relentless problem solvers that share our passion for impact to join us!
Generate was founded by Flagship Pioneering. Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
Generate Biomedicines is looking for an individual to be a part of a growing protein sciences department that is leveraging automated high-throughput platforms in multiple areas of molecular biology through protein production and characterization. The individual will contribute to workflows that include protein purification and biophysical characterization applying a number of analytical techniques for a variety of protein modalities. They will work collaboratively with the team in developing, optimizing, and executing state-of-the-art high-throughput methods. They will operate automated liquid handling robots, different analytical equipment, design experiments, optimize throughput, maintain detailed records and communicate results back to a cross-functional team. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, start-up environment, with great culture.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct protein analytical assays to assess purity and aggregation content, employing methodologies such as capillary electrophoresis and HPLC- based analytical chromatography methods including separation by size, charge heterogeneity, hydrophobicity.
- Run biophysical characterization such as SEC-MALS, DLS, or LC/MS.
- Conduct protein thermostability measurements using techniques including DSF and DSC.
- Conduct additional analytical characterization to understand protein properties such as glycan profiling, charged variants, size, homogeneity, stability and aggregation profiles.
- Conduct longer-term developability, formulation screening as well as stability of protein molecules of interest using a number of analytical techniques for assessment
- Explore new technologies and work with the manager to develop and validate new methods to expand on the analytical workflows in-house
- Contribute towards analysis and communication of analytical data that is received for projects that are outsourced to vendors
- Contribute to automated multi-step protein purification methodologies using AKTA systems.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to communicate data and help drive projects forward.
- Cross-train colleagues within or outside the group as a subject matter expert
- Practical experience with:
- Protein analytical methodologies (eg: HPLC-based chromatographic methods for purity, hydrophobicity and charged variants assessments , DSC/DSF based thermostability methods, purity methods using CE, etc)
- Large scale protein purification chromatography-based methods
- Protein developability assessments
- HTP plate-based assays (eg: ELISA)
- Mass spectrometry, is a plus
- Deep understanding of:
- Protein characterization
- Protein purification
- Excellent attention to detail, documentation, and communication skills
Minimum Education Experience: B.S Degree
Minimum Industry Experience: 2-3 years in Biotech/Pharma
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.