Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™—a new genome engineering technology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to treat diseases at their source. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a motivated and creative Scientist to join a team of scientists and engineers focused on upstream process development of mRNA production. This will include, but not limited to, mRNA production process development, process scale-up, process execution to make material for preclinical studies. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that is driving the mRNA process development for a novel platform of Gene Writing.
- Support the development of in-house mRNA production capabilities, with an emphasis on establishing a scalable/transferable process for producing high-purity material.
- Execute experimental plans for screening, optimization, and scale-up efforts for mRNA synthesis, and purification.
- Use DoE principles to optimize and develop advanced in vitro transcription process that is robust and scalable.
- Contribute to development of next-generation mRNA design and synthesis.
- Contribute to advancement of Tessera’s RNA platform with innovative process solutions.
- Assist in the development and qualification of reliable scale down and scale up models for high-throughput screening experiments.
- Support the generation of preclinical mRNA high quality material generation.
- Troubleshoot lab workflows and maintain equipment.
- Provide high quality results and documentation in electronic lab notebooks.
- Write protocols and technical reports to support drug substance and drug product clinical development.
- Collaborate effectively with formulation and analytical development teams.
- PhD, or BS/MS with 3+ years of relevant industrial experience. A degree in either Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or Biological Sciences.
- Technical understanding and experience in biopharmaceutical process development including mRNA/ protein synthesis, and purification is required.
- Hand on experience with nucleic acids, enzyme kinetics, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules is required.
- Experience with DNA template design, DNA sequencing data analysis and alignment using bioinformatics tools is preferred.
- Experience with process scale up using bioreactors is preferred.
- Experience with protein expression, purification in E. coli and/ or mammalian systems is a plus.
- Hands on experience with in vitro transcription and mRNA purification technologies is preferred.
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and technical setting.
- The successful candidate should be collaborative, communicative, and passionate about working with lipid nanoparticles leading to mediate the next generation of genetic medicines.