Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™—a new genome engineering technology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to treat diseases at their source. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a motivated and creative Scientist to join a team of scientists and engineers focused on the process development of mRNA production. This will include, but not limited to, high-throughput mRNA production process development and automation, process scale-up, process execution to make material for preclinical studies. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that is driving the mRNA process development for a novel platform of Gene Writing.
- Lead the development of in-house high-throughput mRNA production capabilities, with an emphasis on automation, establishing a scalable/transferable process for producing high-purity material.
- Design and lead experimental plans for screening, and optimization of a high-throughput platform using liquid handling systems like Tecan/ Hamilton.
- Lead development of reliable scale down models using complex DoEs in a high throughput set up to optimize RNA synthesis and purification.
- Assist with data management, lead analysis of complex DoE data and contribute to advance Tessera’s RNA platform with end-to-end process integration.
- Troubleshoot lab workflows and maintain equipment.
- Provide high quality results and documentation in electronic lab notebooks.
- Write protocols and technical reports to support drug substance and drug product clinical development.
- Collaborate effectively with formulation and analytical development teams.
- PhD, or BS/MS with 3+ years of relevant industrial experience. A degree in either Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or Biological Sciences.
- Hands on experience with liquid handling systems like Tecan/ Hamilton is required.
- Experience with automation, process integration, data management is required.
- Experience with programming (C/ Matlab) for process development is preferred.
- Technical understanding and experience in biopharmaceutical process development including protein/ mRNA synthesis, purification using robocolumns is preferred.
- Understanding of nucleic acid chemistry, enzymatic and chemical reactions, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules is preferred.
- Hands on experience with in vitro transcription and mRNA purification technologies is a plus.
- Experience with analysis of DNA sequencing data is preferred.
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and technical setting.
- The successful candidate should be collaborative, communicative, and passionate about working with RNA molecules leading to mediate the next generation of genetic medicines.