Tessera Therapeutics is pioneering Gene Writing™—a new genome engineering technology that writes therapeutic messages into the genome to treat diseases at their source. Tessera Therapeutics was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and grows first-in-category life sciences companies. Flagship Pioneering has created over 40 groundbreaking companies over the past fifteen years, all of which are pioneering novel and proprietary biological, industrial, and engineering approaches to solve major needs in human health and sustainability. These companies include Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), Moderna (MRNA), Syros Pharmaceuticals (SYRS), Rubius Therapeutics (RUBY), Axcella Health (AXLA), Evelo Biosciences (EVLO), and Indigo Agriculture.
Tessera Therapeutics is seeking a motivated and creative Scientist to join a team of scientists and engineers focused on the process development of mRNA production. This will include, but not limited to, mRNA purification process development, process scale-up, process execution to make material for preclinical studies. This individual will join a dynamic, rapidly growing, and highly collaborative team that is driving state-of-the-art mRNA process development for a novel platform of Gene Writing.
- Lead the development of in-house mRNA purification capabilities, with an emphasis on establishing a scalable/transferable process for producing high-purity material.
- Lead experiments for screening, optimization, and scale-up efforts for RNA purification using DoE principles via chromatographic separations and filtration processes including TFF.
- Contribute to advancement of mRNA purification field by bringing in state-of-the-art technologies and solutions using novel resins/ chromatography modes.
- Lead the development of a scalable and GMP compliant process using Quality by design (QbD) principles.
- Assist in the development and qualification of reliable scale down models for high-throughput screening experiments.
- Support the generation of preclinical mRNA high quality material generation.
- Troubleshoot lab workflows and maintain equipment.
- Provide high quality results and documentation in electronic lab notebooks.
- Write protocols and technical reports to support drug substance and drug product clinical development.
- Collaborate effectively with formulation and analytical development teams.
- PhD, or BS/MS with 3+ years of relevant industrial experience. A degree in either Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or Biological Sciences.
- Technical understanding and experience in biopharmaceutical process development including protein/ mRNA synthesis, purification.
- Hands on experience with using separation instruments like HPLC, AKTA and TFF is required.
- Understanding of nucleic acid chemistry, enzymatic and chemical reactions, PCR, plasmid processing, and standard analytical techniques for macromolecules is preferred.
- Hands on experience with in vitro transcription and mRNA purification technologies is preferred.
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines.
- Eager to work with highly skilled and dynamic teams in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and technical setting.
- The successful candidate should be collaborative, communicative, and passionate about working with RNA molecules leading to mediate the next generation of genetic medicines.