What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Flagship Labs 77 (FL77) is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to lay the foundation for Global Pathogen Shield™ protective interventions that that can neutralize a wide range of the most dangerous and rapidly evolving infectious pathogen threats. The company is developing a revolutionary approach to this challenge and recruiting a team of top-tier scientists to build what it believes will be a powerful, first-in-category R&D platform.
FL77 is a product of Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT). Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Scientist or Senior Scientist with strong experience in molecular biology to design and build innovative assays and perform a range of experiments focused on the development of novel health interventions. The ideal candidate will have a track record of success in inventing and deploying sophisticated new tools for high-volume, high-speed discovery, and deriving unique insights from biological data – particularly as regards protein structure, protein-protein interactions and immune system function. Experience in virology, immunology, antibody characterization and/or vaccine design is strongly preferred. An essential element of the role will be the ability to collaborate closely with other R&D scientists while adapting to and interpreting new experimental findings and providing experimental guidance in keeping with the company’s objectives.
- Work closely with other molecular biologists and computational scientists within and beyond FL77 to design innovative, proprietary assays and perform critical data-generating experiments
- Build an infrastructure of laboratory protocols, tools and systems to enable focused and rapid discovery and early pipeline development
- Apply rigorous methods to interpret emerging data in the context of key scientific questions
- Identify relevant external findings, tools and datasets, and build on these as necessary to support company objectives
- Communicate insights and conclusions to the scientific team and executive management
- Develop relationships with Flagship Pioneering’s broader science community and manage external consultants as needed
- Ph.D. plus 2-3 years of experience in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or a related field of biological science
- Experience in immunology, virology and/or vaccine design
- Previous work with biological sequence or protein structure datasets
- Experience with pooled cloning or directed mutagenesis
- Good understanding of evolutionary biology as pertaining to cellular and molecular systems
- Experience with mammalian cell culture
- Demonstrated post-PhD experience developing and using high-volume innovative assays and tools for biological discovery and to solve biological challenges
- Extensive cloning experience
- Familiarity with NGS/RNA-Seq methods
- Experience with RNA isolation and reverse transcription
- Experience preparing virus (lentivirus, AAV, VSV…) for transgene expression strongly preferred
- Experience working under BSL2 conditions
- Familiarity with biological data repositories and public omics data resources