What if…you could join an organization that creates, resources, and builds life sciences companies that invent breakthrough technologies in order to transform health care and sustainability?
Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking an experienced and talented professional to join a first-in-category organization whom will be a hands-on senior accounting professional, and systems-thinker to take a Flagship start-up portfolio company to the next level. The Controller will be a key member of the first in house Finance and Accounting team for a brand new life science company. This position will be responsible to implement policies and process to enable exponential growth of the company in addition to the day to day accounting operations of the company including; month end closes, cash flow management, planning and budgeting, office administration and technology.
- Partner with the management teams to understand critical elements and the impact of financial decisions
- Manage organizational cash flow, budgeting, forecasting and reporting for several portfolio companies
- Prepare and present presentations to Board of Directors and Senior Management Teams
- Oversee corporate governance for several portfolio companies
- Oversee month-end and quarter end closes for multiple entities ensuring compliance with US GAAP
- Support Series A and Series B Preferred Stock financings including preparation of disclosure schedules, document review, data room development and management, and financial support of due diligence processes
- Research, establish and enforce proper accounting treatment for new and complex business transactions such as those involving mergers & acquisitions and collaboration agreements.
- Oversee the management of leases, contracts, consulting agreements, venture debt financing arrangements and other financial commitments
- Assist with specific projects and initiatives unique to a fast-growing biotechnology start-up, such as system implementations and updates and business process improvements
- Continually evaluate and drive improvements across finance operations
- Provide Ad-Hoc Reporting and Analysis
- 10+ years of financial and accounting experience. Life sciences / biotechnology industry preferred.
- BS/BA in accounting or finance; MBA preferred
- CPA Required
- Strong business acumen; proven ability to effectively scrutinize and challenge assumptions and interpret the strategy and priorities of the organization in financial terms
- Excellent project management / leadership skills with demonstrated track record and ability to engage teams to work together towards common deadlines.
- Strong presentation skills to deliver succinctly and effectively deliver recommendations to senior leaders; frames complex concepts
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions and different culture
- Exceptional attitude, attention to detail and ability to motivate teams to do the same
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross functional team members and with external partners
- Ability to work within and meet all deadlines while executing on multiple deliverables
- Experience with NetSuite a plus
- Flexible, personable team-player, comfortable in a fast-paced, small company environment
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted financial matters and see projects through to conclusion
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with both scientists and management
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment
More About Flagship Pioneering
We are creative optimists and we would love for you to consider joining our team! See all our open opportunities across Flagship Pioneering’s Ecosystem!
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by more than $4.4 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.9 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside more than $10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem comprises 41 transformative companies, including: Axcella Health (NASDAQ: AXLA), Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Foghorn Therapeutics, Indigo Ag, Kaleido Biosciences (NASDAQ: KLDO), Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Sana Biotechnology, Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
We believe pioneering is best done by teams, and that it is a process that can be taught, learned, and replicated. Learn more about our Company Creation Model.
Can Breakthrough Innovations Be Made Systematically? A Conversation With Noubar Afeyan, Flagship Pioneering’s CEO.